Help! Anyone ever do a college board for a school wide theme? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Help! Anyone ever do a college board for a school wide theme?

>

luvtulearn

Help! Anyone ever do a college board for a school wide theme?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year the elementary principals in our district initiated a district wide theme " _______ kids are college bound." Our principal wrote a chant (which must be posted) and we were encouraged to pick a 4 year university to adopt and display various info. about. To say the least my board NEEDS a lot of help! Most teachers chose their own school because of memorabilia -- I even hung my old cheerleading skirt up on my cabinet. I have a professional calendar mounted on my cabinet with logo's. Many teachers wrote and visited their schools but nobody was willing to donate any advertisements. The decals and magnets cost me $35 last year. Maybe pt teachers can think of creative ways to help fill my space!

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyLilli

Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school does this as well--I've seen teachers display old t-shirts, calendars, sports schedules, car lis. plate frames, mugs, pencils, stuffed animals, etc. On the homemade end, I've seen logos drawn/painted on butcher paper, photos printed from the internet, cut-outs from the newspaper, the letters for the school cut-out, drawings of the mascot, copies of the diploma, etc. I've also had the kids write about which college they want to go to and posted that. Good luck! The kids really get into it!
DaisyLilli is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most universities have an alumni website. See if you can send the head of the alumni association an email explaining things, and request he/she fan out your email. I bet some alums may be willing to send you memorabilia, or even write/email explanation of why they enjoyed college, why their college ed was important, etc. If you went faraway from where you're currently teaching, check online and see if they have a local chapter alumni association.

In the meanwhile, try:
-making a web that shows what major could lead to what job
-have students write and illustrate what they would name their university, what its mascot would be, and why
-definitions of different degrees: associates, bachelor, masters, doctorate
- find listings of famous alums from certain colleges near your school/in your school's home state- set up a matching board with each celeb's name/picture and their alma mater
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had College Day last year and I had my alma mater (of course ) I had the kids make pennants, we used the ELMO to put the school seal on the door, they drew some logos from the school, and I had them research the major areas of the college (things you can major in, sports, academic programs, etc...) Our board (well, door) looked great and was filled with a lot of info...and it didn't cost a dime.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Neat ideas
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are great ideas ! No one ever did anything much with it except announce it at all the parent nights, Open House etc.. My students were interested so I posted photos of myself during that era. We had siblings come and share their experiences in college too. I just found out my reunion is in Oct.!!! I'm going and I bet I'll get more stuff. Thanx for pointing me in the right direction. I most certainly will use these ideas.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote