Help

Center Activities

new to 1st grade

>

jakelily

new to 1st grade
Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am coming to 1st grade from 2nd. I didn't realize the difference. Can someone give me some advice/help for what to do for 1st grade reading centers. I was thinking spelling/word work, listening center/writing, computers, guided reading, and what else? Also, what could I do for spelling/word work to fill a week. Anyone out there have a contract for centers that they use? Thanks so much!

jakelily is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy Harrison

Amy Harrison

Teacher
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Jakelily,
I taught first grade for a couple of years and used centers, or as we called them work stations. My students liked the drama station. I used one of those card board science fair boards that fold. They have them at Michael's. Anyway, I cut out a window, hung material over it, and had a bin to hold books. Students created puppets and practiced, to improve fluency, reading the story to their pretend audience. Those who felt ready were allowed to present to the class after weeks of practice.
Another station we used was the Big Book station. I read the books several time to the class as a whole, had them read along with me, and showed them how to take turns. One person gets to hold the pointer while another reads out loud. They are to help each other. Also, I posted sticky notes with words that could be found throughout the book. The notes were kept in the back of the big books and they could go on a word hunt placing the notes with the correct words.
One other suggestion was the pocket station. I hung a pocket chart and on sentence strips placed a sentences, one per strip, from the story we worked on in class that week from their readers. The strips were mixed up and they had to put them in order according to the story. They were numbered on the back so that students could self check. They then were to take turns reading the strips out loud, helping each other as needed.

teachnmachine

When I first started doing centers...
Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used a book called: What other kids are doing while I'm doing small groups.

It's a great book with some terrific ideas and blackline masters. Digging through the dictionary and the abc order center were great. Of course, you have to teach them to use the dictionary and to alphabetize first, but you could use those all year long. For fluency I used the listening center and readers' theatre.

Another idea for word work is to create a worksheet with a telephone keypad on it and have the students "text" their spelling words. (write down the numbers they would use to spell their words.

Check out Amanda Madden's webpage (google her). Her spelling activities are extensive. She teaches 2nd, but you could tailor it for first. I hope this helps.

JB (aka teachnmachine)
teachnmachine is offline   Reply With Quote