Help

Forget-me-not Room

struggling with writing/writing process

>

Niki

struggling with writing/writing process
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really need help with the writing process and writing with the students. It is taking them a long time to get through one writing piece a week. I wondered if people could share how much time they spend on writing and their process for it. I want students to enjoy writing but a lot of them are complaining about the time it is taking and aren't enjoying it. I also feel like my conferencing with students could be more helpful. I'm looking for schedule/process ideas and conferencing made easy ideas also. Oh and how you grade writing also! Here is my schedule so far.... Monday -intro. writing, graphic organizer. Tuesday- rough draft Thursday- rough draft/conferencing start on final Friday- finish final. Some students are having a hard time finishing their final writing by Friday. Any ideas? Thanks! Writing has been the toughest subject for me to teach and grade. I would love to make it easier for my self and more enjoyable for everyone! Thanks!

Dan

drafts/final
Old 11-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At our school we decided to have kids do a final draft once a month or 5 weeks. The rest of the days, they focus on pre-writing, drafting, heavy on the revising, and then editing. THen, the teacher, or the individuals, picks one to take to publication. Less frustration, more enjoyment.

Niki

Thanks Dan
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like that idea! Thanks! The goal is to have 18 writings for the year. So two a month would even be better then what I'm trying to cram in now.