Help

Center Activities

3rd Grade

>

nhsrgtyer

3rd Grade
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone! I just recently accepted my first teaching job!!!! Crazy. I will be a 3rd Grade teacher and need to know some things. What are some good essential items to get for my future classroom? I just finished my student teaching and am trying to get most everything done before August. Any and all sugestions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

nhsrgtyer is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Stock your classroom library with a good mixture of picture books and chapter books, make sure the picture books are high interest for third graders (lots of nonfiction) but also run the spectrum of readability. I've found that third grade classrooms have some of the most stretched out reading levels to work with.

Try to buy or find cheaper alternatives for all math manipulatives. Your curriculum will most likely require you to teach little bits of nearly all math concepts in third, its a big year for math. My kids love the wrapups I bought at the teacher store to practice math facts much more than flashcards, but buy/make flashcards too.

I would work toward getting a class set of whiteboards and markers because my kids love to work with these and they allow me to formatively assess what my class knows without giving them a quiz or test. If you can't afford these right off the bat, you can put a plain piece of white paper in a protective sleeve for each student and they work the same, essentially.

Buy a really good, bright globe. My kids are always asking where things are.

Print out every set of i have, who has on this site or buy a box at the teacher store. my kids eat that game up. games are big hits in general with third graders.

If you can get a magazine subscription to any kids magazine (we have natgeo kids and sports illustrated kids) they will love that.

This is a personal preference of mine, but I do not have any whole-group pencil sharpeners in my room. each table has a cubby of group materials at their desk which includes handheld pencil sharpeners. they use those and dump them frequently but it keeps the electric sharpener noise out of my ears.

The most important thing is to decide on your management system and buy everything you need for that so that it looks solid when the kids come in. You dont want them confused, mislead, or not taking it seriously to start!

i also bought a neat noisemaker that rotates different noises for when we rotate centers. you might want one, if not for this purpose, than for simple transitions. also, a good kitchen timer is essential.

Figure out how you want your students homework/classswork to be collected and buy whatever containers you think youll need for this. get your area of the room ultra organized and ready.

back up everything on a flashdrive. I have 2, 1 for class files and 1 for pictures of kids

Hmm, if I think of anything else, I'll come back but this might help you get started?
Also, you might want to buy "first days of school" by harry wong. its a lifesaver for new teachers, as it was for me!
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

amsy28

Very helpful!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a great post! Very helpful
amsy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

Some more ideas
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of the first things I would do before buying anything is see what you have in your classroom. Decide what is useful and what needs to be pitched. Then start looking toward your purchases. I also have group supplies at each group of students. This keeps the movement down and fewer interuptions. I purchased those 3 drawer rolling carts from Wal-Mart and put those with each group of 6 children. I assign 2 children per drawer and they keep extra notebooks, art boxes, things like that in the drawers. I use the top to keep a box of klennex, and a plataic tub with highlighters, rulers, glue, gluestix, and any math manipulatives that we will need for the week. I also have students keep their self selected reading material here so it doesn't get smashed or torn up in desks. Just an idea. It is very neat and organized.
Dry erase boards are a must. If you can't afford these or don't have them, go buy shower board from Home Depot or someplace like that and have them cut it in small boards for you. It works fine.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

scarlett

Remember many things don't have to be brand
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

new. I go to garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets and I get tons of stuff for my classroom.

scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote

aggiegirl84

Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Goodwill if you have one near you...that is where I got a majority of my books for my 3rd grade class library. I just picked up Oliva and the missing toy (hardback) for 99 cents. I love that place which i guess can be a good as well as bad thing.
aggiegirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote

waterfall1

nhsrgtyer/New to Third Grade
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Think about you. You will get lots of advice, but must look at the kind of teacher/person you are. I agree with whoever said that first impression and well thought out is better along with organized is BEST. If your ideas are researched based, it is hard to be criticized.

Stop, get access to a good color printer and a computer.

Things that you acquire need to be researched based:

fcrr.org is a great reading website that breaks down reading and provides great free resources to have as activities for centers and accomodates different levels of readers.

Great Read Alouds: The Ghost of Fossil Glenn by Cynthia DeFelice, Tales of a 4th grade Nothing, The Lemonade War, The Leanin' Dog, The Gadget War, Texas Bluebonnet Award Books too.

White Boards: You can go to the Home Depot and buy the sheet of melamine for $20.00 and they will cut it for you. Way more economical.

Mary Alice Hatchett website has many of the latest researched based ideas and printables(free) for Math. Scroll all the way down for 20 sheets of problem solving

Class Library: You will have students who read 1st on up through 4th+. A big Idea in third grade is genre and the difference between fiction and nonfiction books. I work off of the honor system. Some people do logs/check out systems.....etc. Its up to You. Also How will you organize them. I color code them with colored dots. When I get too many of one author, I make a author box for them. Non-fiction is a red dot/content labeled. Some people do DRA levels/picture/content based stuff.

Half priced Books, Thrift Stores, Scholastic Class Book Orders that Sswill order are good ways to get books. Your school probably has a Leveled Book Library to help.

Find a Dollar Store and stock up on Teacher/school type stationary, dice or foam dice, checkers, playing cards--for math

Science:AIMS is a great resource. Find out what materials are available and then supplement through Dollar Store.

Great third grade resource is Beth Newingham.com for great visuals to print and laminate.
This is great for researched based word study ideas, reading and third grade.

Another great resource is mathlearningnc.sharpschool.com/cms I like the Daily Essential Math Activities. It is good to have ready for centers etc. In Math you want a good mix of a global perspective and a more computational perspective so that kids develop great number sense.

Lastly, think outside the box for free organization tools. Cereal boxes are great for keeping individual books per student. Your bookkeeper could probably order skill boxes for you. Will you have a binder or a folder to go home and back to school? Also, Will you do community supplies or will each child keep their own? Things to consider. Invest in a good pencil sharpener that you use (not kids). Also, the hand held individuals are good too.

Hope this is helpful. Waterfall1
waterfall1 is offline   Reply With Quote