Help

Bluebonnet Room

Weekly Poem for Fluency

>

amp1225

Weekly Poem for Fluency
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to have a weekly poem for fluency next year (in the third grade). Does anyone do this? Do you have suggestions on what poems to use, how you do it, etc.? Would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Miss V. Swamp

Weekly Poem
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought a notebook of poems for word study by Timothy Rasinski and a notebook of making and writing words by Rasinski....This is by grade levels......Includes full=color transparencies of poems.....helps with phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary and fluency with ideas and sheets to reinforce each poem with 5 day routines. www.seppub.com Shell Educational Publishing materials are research and standards-based.
You can print a correlation report customized for your state from this website.
Hope this helps. www.shelleducaiton.com

1956BD

I use poetry for fluency grades
Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't do it weekly. I do this with my students twice each grading period for a grade.

I assign the poems on Monday. They practice them Monday through Friday for 10 to 15 minutes. Then after practicing on Friday, they read the poem to me for a grade. I sometimes listen to each child while we are in the computer lab. That way the others are busy with another task. Other times, I have them read the poem to the entire class.

I use a rubric someone on PT shared earlier.

I like to use Jack Prelutsky's poems from his holiday books. The titles are It's Halloween, It's Thanksgiving, It's Christmas and It's Valentines. I also line Mary Ann Hoberman's book series titled, "You Read To Me, I'll Read To You. They are poems for two voices. I give the first part to the better reader. Their partner will try to match the pace they set.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 718 views)

YankeeDoodle7

The Great Poetry Race
Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your students get a signature every time they read their poem. After they get a certain number of signatures, they get a free homework pass.

Check out this thread. It explains it, and has the attachment you need.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=194441

boysmom

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this idea of the great poetry race, simple and gets kids to practice and improve reading fluency! I am thinking I might want to have a minimum times they must read it to someone or I will have those that say don't care not doing it. Can they read it to fellow students?? Hmmmm I have to think more about this!

Roadrunner22

Kids Pick the Best Poems
Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After enjoying some poems from "Kids Pick the Funniest Poems", my students spend time reading different poetry books- either by self or with a partner for about one week. By the end of the week, each child selects his/her favorite poem. Parent volunteers type them for me and each week, one student's poem is selected. On Monday, the child reads the poem to the class. Students have two minutes to illustrate. During the week, we revisit the poems as shared reading or parnter reading. After all poems are distributed, students put together their own "anthology" with a table of contents and all! Most often they call their new poetry book, "We Picked the Best Poems". Whenever we have a few minutes, we open our books and enjoy the poems together- building fluency along the way.