Help

Writing & Language Arts

Unjournaling

>

Teachzm

Unjournaling
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to share a fun book I've been using for journal writing! My journal topics were feeling pretty dull and my fourth graders weren't writing as much as I would have liked.

The book is called Unjournaling by Dawn DiPrince. The prompts inspire creative thinking and the kids are having so much fun writing and sharing. Here's a random sample of the prompts:

"In writing, show that a room has a very, very bad smell--but without saying it has a very, very bad smell."

"You know what an orfinbellydorfer is. Most people don't. Explain to them what it is and what you do with it."

Have fun!

Teachzm is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Unjournal
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Teachzm,

I discovered this book a few years ago. I used to write 1 unjournal prompt on the board for bell work each day. The students loved writing.
This year I had forgotten about it until I straightened my bookshelf 2 days ago. Again my students are gaining a love of writing about silly things. I may use the ofrinbellydorfer prompt today.

I highly recommend this book.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learnaholic

Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I, too, love this book! My kids seem to enjoy it because many of the prompts are atypical. Another good book that is similar is "Yoga for the Brain", also by Dawn DiPrince. Here are some examples:

"How many ways can you find to say 'she is smart' - without actually saying 'she is smart'"?

"Describe yourself, being absolutely factual, in one paragraph. Do not throw in any opinion." -- "Describe yourself as your greatest fans might write about you on your best day - you hope. Use only one paragraph."
Learnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote