Help

Social Studies

HELP- Teaching State History Lesson

>

Dmcwsu

HELP- Teaching State History Lesson
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a student teacher and have been tasked with creating a state history lesson plan. I live in Washington State and given our unique history, I have plenty to teach. So I'm not looking so much for content but rather a plan that is interactive and keeps the students engaged. I like the idea of a timeline, but I'm looking for a way to include the entire class; it doesn't have to be a timeline, I'm willing to take any suggestions! Any help would be greatly appreciated! The sooner, the better- I have to get started on this thing.

Thanks!!

Dmcwsu is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

3d?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you make your timeline a 3D one? Each student could draw and cut out something that represents the state or a fact they've learned and then place it in order on the timeline.

Last edited by sbslab; 03-06-2012 at 10:04 AM..
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

ideas
Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not sure what grade you teach, but some ideas that spring to mind are:

Board games: In small groups, create a board game with questions/concepts about your content, have them then rotate to each group and play their game?

A huge timeline: take up your whole hallway with butcher paper and have each kid spread out and make them in charge of one section of dates for the timeline

Theme collage: have them identify historical or geographical or concept themes and create collages in small groups for each theme, or assign each group one theme, have them research it,a nd do their own collage?

Jigsaw: The old standby, give each kid (or small group) a small section of information and have them teach it to the rest of the class?

Play: have them write and perform a class play on a particular topic? You could give each small group one "Scene" to create, put it all together, and then have the class perform it.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

bulletin board
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught about the Revolutionary War, I had the kids each create an illustration & caption on a notecard about an important date in history. I think I titled the board "On the Road to the Revolution" and drew a curvy highway on the board. You could do something similar for the state's history.
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote