Inference???Drawing Conclusions??? What's the difference? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Bluebonnet Room

Inference???Drawing Conclusions??? What's the difference?

>

Normandy3640

Normandy3640

Inference???Drawing Conclusions??? What's the difference?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone provide me the difference between Drawing Conclusions and Inferencing? They seem like one of the same but in reading lessons, they use both terms and I can't see the difference between the two. HELP.

museumuse

A past post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does this help?
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=290877
  • I think of conclusions as final and definitive.
  • When we draw a conclusion, we have valid data to prove a point.
  • For example: If plants grow taller with 8 hours of sunlight a day instead of darkness, then the health of plants can be affected by the amount of sunlight they get.
  • That's a scientific fact and it cannot be argued.
  • With an inference, it's not definitive since we are are simply making an educational guess about something.
  • We are using details/clues and our background knowledge, but we can't claim it as fact since we are not 100% certain.
  • For example, "Marissa bought her best friend watercolors, chalk, crayons and a sketch book for her birthday." I can infer that a Marissa's friend is interested in art.
  • The problem is, I can't be 100% sure. Marissa may have bought her those things because she likes art herself.

ginadoo

Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good question. This is just coming out of my brain... but when I teach inference I talk about the importance of using your SCHEMA (everything in your brain: things you know, experiences you had) and the INFORMATION in the text to make a guess about what you think is happening or what will happen. When you teach about drawing conclusions do you use both sources, text and schema?
Laura.Housto

Laura.Housto

Same thing
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This doesn't really help. I teach Drawing Conclusions as using your background knowledge plus the information from the text and readworks (which has pretty great lessons) teaches Drawing Conclusions the same way.
http://www.readworks.org/lessons/gra...sions/lesson-2