Help

School Mental Health

welcome and roll call!

>

GraceKrispy

welcome and roll call!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Welcome to the new school mental health board! This board is for those of us who work in the mental health field in school settings, or who are interested in this field. Please post below and tell us a little about yourself!

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Star Light

Old 10-15-2015, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

School counselor here! This is my 4th year and I love what I do, most of the time.
Star Light is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm so glad you're here I was a teacher for years, then a school psychologist, then a school counselor, then a school psychologist again I'm getting my PhD in school psychology right now.

eeza

new board roll call
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a school psychologist. I started off teaching for 10 years then decided that my health and happiness were more important than a job that I hated, so I became a school psych.

I love my job....though these have few weeks have been a little tough!

I am glad that we are starting this board. I look forward to getting to know you all!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

cardnialteach

Hello and welcome
Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a classroom teacher for 12 years. I thought I would be in the classroom forever. At the beginning of the year I was thinking I needed a change. In my mind I was thinking grade level, school counseling was not even on my list. Mid year my superintendent and principal approached me and asked if I would be interested in the school counseling position. I knew this would require me to go back to school again to get another Master's degree. My administration was awesome and let me supply them with what my goal was if I transitioned. They also allowed me days to attend classes without docking them from my sick leave. This is now my 7 year and I love what I do. People always ask which I like more....there really is no way to compare. I miss having one class a year, but love that I now know all students in our school from K-5 (really K-8 because I work at the Middle School level too.) I don't miss grading and parent teacher conferences, but have my own parent contacts I make.

A couple years ago my state adopted SEC standards, we are implementing a new state assessment, and we have a brand new Commissioner of Education. He came right out and said the role of school counselors will change in the classroom. This is great because sometimes I don't get the support of my teachers. Some don't like to allow me time for individual counseling time, while others see a benefit from being proactive instead of reactive.

I am excited to have this new board and get opinions from others in similar roles as myself. It really is different than being a classroom teacher, although I still consider myself a teacher.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Old 10-16-2015, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

HI guys!! Glad to see some people in the mental health field here on PT! I knew there was some, so hoping for more because I could definitely use some collaboration every once in a while.

I taught 4th grade for 7 years, but earlier than that, I knew I could never be in the classroom for the rest of my life, so started the Master's in Counseling track in my 4th year of teaching. Once I obtained my Master's, I then got my license, so now I'm a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and a National Board Certified Counselor (NCC). This is my 6th year as a school counselor and I love it. I'm in a 4th-8th grade public school, and I love being able to watch the 4th graders grow up and mature (some, not all...haha) into great jr. high school students. It's definitely a challenge on some days being a school counselor, but I would never, ever change my profession.
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm so glad you're all here! WOOHOO!!

Feel free to start a new topic at any point.

Quote:
It really is different than being a classroom teacher, although I still consider myself a teacher.
This is *exactly* the way I feel! I identify really strongly with the jobs of teacher, school psych, and counselor.

I realized I ordered things a little incorrectly in my post I worked as a teacher for a while, went back to school to be a school psych, and then worked as a school psych. Then I had babies and stayed home for a bit, then back to work as a classroom teacher again, then a counselor, then a school psych. Now I'm actually working a clinical setting, and it's quite an eye-opener. I identify very strongly as a SCHOOL psych, so this is quite an interesting experience. I really want to bridge the gap between clinical practice and school practice.

ETA: Be sure to click on the board name so you can get to the full board and see the additional posts, including how to add this board to your customized list.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 10-16-2015 at 06:33 PM..