Help

School Mental Health

title of school psychologist

>

eeza

title of school psychologist
Old 10-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you are a school psychologist, I was wondering if you like the title "school psychologist". If you aren't, what do you think of when you hear "school psychologist"?

I'm wondering because I wish my title was educational psychologist. Parents (and some staff) think that because "psychologist" is in my title that I am a clinical psychologist. It's like they think I'm the psychologist for the school. I have to then explain that I know about the psychology of learning. Does this happen to you ever?

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Definitely the vast majority of parents/people do not understand what we do. I've been called the "district tester" and then other people believe I do mental health therapy all day long (which is fine, I'm trained to do that, but I have no time to do that!). Consistent with NASP's ideal service model, I was trained for counseling/ therapy, assessment, and consultation. But yes, like you, most people who don't know seem to think I do therapy all day. Definitely a lack of understanding from others of what I do.

Educational Psychologist would still have the word "psychologist" in it, so I would think they would still think of you more in the clinical sense. I prefer to call myself an educational detective, so I think that would be the best title

I'm really interested in knowing what other school employees think of our job titles!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

school psych title
Old 10-30-2015, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that Educational Psychologist might still be misleading, but I think it might be a little less confusing. I love Educational Detective though! It sounds so covert!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love that, too! I tell people that all the time when they ask what I do I say that I track down clues and collect them (all the learning artifacts from teachers and information from parents) and collect new data (my assessments/observations) and then try to "solve the mystery" of why the child is having difficulty learning/behaving. I think it better describes the depth of what we do
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote