Help

School Mental Health

cardnialteach-

>

GraceKrispy

cardnialteach-
Old 10-30-2015, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm still waiting to hear- how did it go the other day?? (your post below)

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

cardnialteach

Update: Thursday was CRAZY
Old 10-31-2015, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started the day at 7 in the superintendents office to discuss my impending day. The ripple effect from the parents is more and more each day. We have also had our local priest come in upset with this, we are a very Catholic community.

I ended up going into each of the 3 hours of the class to discuss the importance of knowing where your resources are at school and home when a believe or opinion is challenged. We did not spend any time discussing the topic of the video because there was no sense debating with a group of 8th graders. I did not get a specific list of students like he first said. He did give me the parents names who were upset and were worried about thier student, so I will keep an eye on them and my ears open for discussions in the hall.

I do feel bad for the teacher. He is really a good guy and is one who really does care for the students, he just made a big dumb mistake with showing this film. He let his emotions get the better of him when some students didn't take the learning project seriously enough. Some of the students kept asking me when he is coming back to school. He has had a sub all week. Yesterday I went up to let my student council kiddos in to get ready for their Halloween Dance and he was up there cleaning out his classroom. Some saw him and were super excited but he is pretty dejected right now. They asked me again if he was coming back. At this point I can't tell them anything until after the next school board meeting and everything is final.

On top of dealing with the Middle School situation, I had one of my elementary students that I see weekly have a major meltdown in the room. I made a quick trip over there to see him and help him make it through the day.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-31-2015, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like it went as well as it could have, although stressful for you! Were you given a script expressing what they wanted you to share, or did you just come up with something based on the general idea they wanted you to address? I'm just curious because in other "counseling whole schools/classes" types of situations, I've experienced the range between higher ups giving me a list of what they wanted me to say and stick to, and having to come up with something completely on my own based on the situation. Gotta love the crises that come up when we don't have time to deal with them
Thanks for the update!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

crisis this week
Old 10-31-2015, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It does sound like a crazy day! I've had teachers make dumb mistakes too (and admin for that matter), but it seems like teachers are just held to such a high standard that they can't be human and mistakes.

Please keep us updated on how things go. I'm curious to see how this all turns out.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

cardnialteach

Old 10-31-2015, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was given the direction they wanted me to take, but I came up with my own way to express it. I spoke to three sections and had the same message but never the same way.

This is really going to shake up the school year. In a week when the school can publicly say he is not returning, I think there may be more turmoil. Like I said before he is a nice guy, but he has made one too many questionable decisions and in our community this was way over the line. I as an adult saw the point he was trying to make, but 8 th graders didn't. Most can comprehend the message either because we live in a small bubble of a community with very little diversity.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote