New SPED position

>

JennB79

JennB79

New SPED position
Old 04-28-2020, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I have been a SPED teacher for only three years and the experience has only been at a high school and a middle school. I just accepted a position as an elementary resource teacher and am looking for someone who can help me get oriented with what I need to do to be successful. This is very different than my previous positions. I don't want to start a new job not knowing what I am supposed to do. Can anyone offer advice or support?

Haley23

Old 04-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your best bet is going to be asking other people at the school. Sped is run so differently everywhere that it would be hard for you to get solid advice about what you're supposed to be doing here. Are you going to be the only resource teacher at the school? If not, see if you can contact future teammates and ask your questions. If you will be the only one, ask if there is another elementary resource teacher in the district you can get connected with. Most of our elementary schools in my district only have one sped teacher and I've helped out new teachers in other buildings before. Also ask about when you can get access to IEPs so that you can start looking over those. That will give you some background info on your students and give you an idea about what kinds of services are typical at your new school. Congrats on your new position!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote