Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Levels of caution in pandemic

>

amiga13

Levels of caution in pandemic
Old 11-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Another post about going to a hobby store makes me wonder.
Am I the only one who buys everything except groceries online?
The only store I enter is a grocery store.
Am I the only one concerned about entering closed spaces?
Am I overly cautious?
Are you shopping as you did pre-Covid?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 AM

I am grocery shopping weekly as before, wearing a mask. Going to Target, Costco but not as often. Other stores, not as much.
I am going to mass, wearing a mask.
I am working from my classroom, wearing a mask when I step outside of my room.
We are occasionally going to a sit down restaurant that we've always been to.
Do more carry out vs sit down, when I don't want to cook.
Have not had a mani/pedi since this all started but do get my hair done monthly.

I tend to be cautious with where and when I go places and not hunkering down at home like I have heard others are--I can't imagine not having left the house since March.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 11-14-2020, 10:44 AM

IMHO everyones situation is different so levels of caution should applied accordingly. Hubs and I are just a bit over 65 but very healthy. I am a big online shopper but we also shop at Costco, independent grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. Of course we always wear masks, social distance when possible and sanitize when leaving a store. I think these are reasonable precautions for our situation. No judgement from me about what others do. I try to roll by this motto - no fear and life is good.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Shopping
Old 11-14-2020, 10:47 AM

I have been in a few stores, but I don't shop like I used to and really miss it. I pick up what I need, check out, and leave. Aside from grocery shopping, the most time I have spent in a store was at a Best Buy when I was purchasing a new phone. It was a necessity, but I stayed 6 feet away from the sales people. I always wear a mask anywhere I go. I have shopped a little online, but not a lot. I try to avoid Amazon as much as possible. We mostly do carry-out for food, but have also eaten outside. Winter is coming so that will be gone. The thing we have not been able to avoid has been going to the doctor and having some procedures done. My son just broke his pinky and had to have a pin put in yesterday - a must do.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-14-2020, 10:48 AM

The only places I go regularly are Costco, Target, and Trader Joe. TJ limits people and my Target and Costco are not crowded and have staff that take precautions seriously.

I have gone into other stores to buy something else if I know what I want and the store is not crowded, but I don’t “shop.” And I do it maybe every several weeks or so. I have also pre-ordered and gone inside to pick up takeout.

But I bought almost everything from Amazon way before covid so this isn’t totally abnormal. What is abnormal is that I’m now also limiting Amazon purchases.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not quite, but...
Old 11-14-2020, 10:49 AM

I have shopped at a couple of clothing stores (did not need to try anything on and the store wasn't crowded), and I have been to a couple of the close-out, bargain stores I like once or twice since they opened again. Today, I went to an outdoor vendor fair at a local farm. It was not crowded, and the Tastefully Simple vendor I wanted had no one standing at her booth waiting. Next week, I will go to a local chain pharmacy to get my first part of the Shingrex shot. I also have been to the doctor for bloodwork, my gynecological exam and my mammography. Masks are required in both NJ and NY, so I am comfortable with what I did.

That being said, I have not returned to the gym, which I miss. Even though the capacity (which you can see on line in real time) has been way down below the numbers the government allows, I have not felt comfortable with cases rising about exercising, and having to keep a mask on while exercising is also a consideration.

I also opt not to eat indoors at restaurants. I only ate outdoors once with a friend I have been with through the pandemic, and we were careful to go just as they opened for lunch and we had an end table where there was no one on top of us. I also have only done takeout a couple of times. My retired teacher group had a few of them meet for an outdoor lunch in September, but I was not comfortable doing that and passed on it. Now that it is cooler, we are zooming, and that is fine with me.

I try to ask myself if it is a need or a want. In most cases, if I do not need to go, I don't do it. On occasion, I break with that rule, but for the most part, I have been staying home.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 11-14-2020, 10:59 AM

I have tried to do most things curbside since April and have entered only doctors offices for indoor spaces. Now I do EVERYTHING curbside since coming out from isolation like pick up food,
yarn for my mom, etc. . .

Unfortunately however I was completely out of paper towels, tp, paper goods and many other things so I went into Target on Friday . It was pretty much empty but Trader Joes looked absolutely packed so I chose not enter.

The other two people that live with me have been very strict since March as well. Work from home and have very limited exposure.

no hair cut or color since Feb. or anything else .In Sept. entered senior Costco hour and felt safe but stopped in Oct.

Checking my mail at the PO box is a concern for me because the general area is not supervised so people enter with and without masks. I try to hang back until people leave. The PO worker area has a strict mandate for masks, plastic guards, and only 2 people allowed for package pick up .

Definitely everyone mostly wears masks and is socially distancing
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 AM

i go to the grocery store at least once a week--but i super-avoid people (even masked people!) i'm too much of a cheapskate to have someone do my shopping for me.

i go to walgreens for detergent (and anything else that's on sale that i need--or WANT) at least once a week.

been to fabric store zillions of times.

i have gone to walmart (don't love that store to begin with) about 3 times since march---try to avoid mostly because of the people that are there...

i have gone to the mall 3 times (zipped through main store to get to Bath and Body Works for freebies! no lingering, no pausing near people

i'm definitely not out and about like "normal" but i'm not afraid to go places---occasionally i'll try to get there at opening to avoid more people. i very much miss thrift stores! (and if i don't have enough old towels to make hair wraps for christmas, i may zip in to Goodwill, go straight to the section, and grab one!)

we do not eat in restaurants (or even on patios). we do wait in line inside build-your-own Blaze pizza and shoot eye daggers at anyone unmasked.

i believe that if you're masked and not in close contact for several minutes, you should be fine. while i think that some people are not being cautious enough, some are also perhaps overly cautious. (just like my driving! some people are too fast and some too slow--if everyone just drove MY speed, we'd be just fine!)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What do you think?
Old 11-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Do you think you are overly cautious? Not cautious enough? Just right?

I think it's like driving. Everybody thinks they're driving at just the right speed. People who are going at a lower speed are slowpokes who need to learn how to drive, and people going faster than you are careless speed demons.

As for me, I wear a mask. I use hand sanitizer when I enter and leave a building. I wash my masks. I stay home almost all the time.

But, if I need something, I go buy it. I buy things both online and in person, depending on how urgent the need, whether or not I feel I need to see it in person, or convenience.

I've been to hobby stores, grocery stores, hardware stores, home furnishing stores, school, church, and restaurants. I feel like my level of safety is right for me. If your level of precaution feels right for you, continue to do it.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 11-14-2020, 11:19 AM

COVID shopping boundaries at my house

No in person grocery shopping...curbside pick up only.
No drug store shopping ... only drive through.
No department store shopping ... order on line.
No in home visitors or visits. not even family.
No restaurants with a few curbside pick ups.

We have been going to church the past four weeks. Our small membership is masked and socially distanced, no singing or visiting. Our church preschool has closed due to COVID in three teachers. With our area's soaring COVID infection rates we've decided that we'll skip in person church and attend our virtual services.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Groceries
Old 11-14-2020, 11:31 AM

I have them delivered from a local market. We venture out very little, except to get our 12,000 steps in each day. We went on a hike today! That was fun.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Shopping
Old 11-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Right now we have 5 (known) active cases in my city. I was never a huge store shopper so I am not doing things much differently.

I am in-person teaching Kindergarten 20 kids (mask optional for kids). With K, social distancing is impossible. I go to the gym (10 people max) and to the grocery store (including Costco).

I am not worried about getting it. I am more concerned about spreading it.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 11-14-2020, 11:38 AM

I do pick up at a chain grocery store for my big grocery orders because it’s free.
But I run in to our local grocery store for items I forgot to order or need sooner. I’ll go into Trader Joe’s once a month but they strictly limit how many people can enter. I went into Aldi to get the wine Advent calendar and I never shop there.
I do pick up from Target, but I do go into Target once in awhile in the evening for holiday items, paper items or cards.
I was shopping for an area rug this week. I really need to feel them. The furniture stores were empty so I felt completely safe.
I’ve been to Home Depot with DH.
No church. You need to reserve a spot and the spots are always filled up.
We were eating at outdoor patios once a week, but now it’s too cold here. I will miss that.
I visit with DS, DDIL and DGD in our house and by them.
I’ve had two hair appointments since March.

Being retired means I can pick times when stores are pretty empty. Plus I limit my time. I get what I need and leave.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Levels of caution
Old 11-14-2020, 11:45 AM

From April til end of September, we hunkered down. All shopping done on line, went nowhere, a rare outdoor visit with cousin. All in respect for DDs pregnancy.

GD born end of September and weíve been allowed to see her once. Today weíll see her again. DD is COVID paranoid. I feel we all sacrificed for her and it wasnít enough.

Now Iím okay with a quick trip, in and out, to a grocery store. I did go out once to a restaurant but probably wonít do it again. I guess weíre still being overly cautious .
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-14-2020, 11:51 AM

Going into stores has never bothered me. Everyone here has worn masks in stores for 6+ months, and you're not near anyone for nearly long enough to be a concern anyway. The stores and such aren't the problem, it's the small gatherings without masks that are the problem.

I've never loved online shopping. I prefer to be able to see my items, make sure it's exactly what I want, and be able to take what I purchased with me right then and there. Of course you can't beat the selection online, so sometimes I do have to revert to Amazon or an online store because I can't find what I want in person. I also spent 3 months teaching in person in a building with about 350 people (smaller than usual, because some chose e-learning), so it would seem very silly to do that 8 hours every day and then be worried about walking into a store for 5-20 minutes.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 11-14-2020, 11:53 AM

We do curbside at Meijers every week and a huge Costco run 2 times a month. We have two big (deer size) chest freezers so we can stock up. We have a huge extended family and someone always has whatever you need. I just called my sister in law for milk and she had some.

My husband, dad, father in law, my brothers, brother in laws, and sons are really looking forward to Opening Day, which is tomorrow. It's like a holiday here. They need it and I need them gone.

I kind of hope they don't get anything because I don't know where we would put it this year.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-14-2020, 11:54 AM

I regularly go to the grocery store and I have made a couple trips to hardware stores, because I had to.

Yesterday I went clothes shopping at Old Navy. I had to get new jeans and I literally walked in, found a pair, tried them on, bought them and left. Maybe 20 minutes total? I went to Old Navy because the dressing rooms are open and I have to be able to try on clothes to find anything that fits.

I hate shopping online and avoid it, if I can. Since March I just...have not been shopping.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 11-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Private Eyes I really like your response. It's all just opinions!

Quote:
I think it's like driving. Everybody thinks they're driving at just the right speed. People who are going at a lower speed are slowpokes who need to learn how to drive, and people going faster than you are careless speed demons.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-14-2020, 12:01 PM

I am not shopping like pre-Covid.
DH and I let our Costco membership lapse.
We do curbside groceries.
We have run to CVS for flu shot and vitamins.
I do a quick Walmart run once every 3-4 weeks to stock up on items I canít get at curbside.
We do a curbside restaurant pickup once or twice a month.
My short hair is now shoulder length so I wear it up. Would love a haircut! My DH has offered, but no thanks!
No gatherings with anyone.

Iím a homebody anyway but miss my monthly hair appointments and retiree group, my weekly crochet group, and I will definitely miss going to Target this year to browse all their holiday decor. Just feel blessed I can stay home and stay safe. An option many donít have.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-14-2020, 12:06 PM

I don't shop in the same way I used to. There is no wandering, no browsing. I only go to the grocery store and Costco on a regular basis (every 10-14 days) and I do curbside pickup when available. But I'm ok with a quick in and out of a store where I know exactly what I'm going to get and I'm ok with going inside a restaurant to get my takeout. But everyone here wears a mask and most are considerate about keeping distanced from each other and other than the grocery store I never spend more than 15 minutes inside a building.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

no.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:16 PM

I go to the grocery store every ten days or so. I go to target twice a month. This summer when we were below 1% I went to Kohl's. I have been to BJ's twice. I have purchased everything else by mail. Right now we are in school for in person learning 5 days a week and worry every day that we will go remote. I am just praying for people to stop being stupid. My pastor had to make a video about wearing masks. People are arguing with the ushers at church because "they don't think covid is a big deal." He also had to stop during Confirmation because people took off their masks. He told everyone that mask wearing isn't optional. The stupidity of a segment of the population makes me want to buy canned goods and hunker down. As long as people are stupid, I will limit my exposure.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-14-2020, 12:31 PM

I don't like to "shop", but I'm doing all of my regular errands as normal. Everyone wears masks, I don't linger, wash hands after. I'm not concerned about shopping as it's not the kind of contact that seems to be a problem. During this whole thing I feel that I've been cautious, but not paranoid (which is pretty much how I roll with everything).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-14-2020, 12:41 PM

Major groceries once a month very early in the morning when there are few people there.

Local grocery store about once a week for fresh produce and meat. A few times I have gone to the Dollar General next door to the grocery store.

Fabric stores about once a month.

Dentist once, hair twice, doctor once. ( flu shot coming up)

Take out twice, no indoor or outdoor dining.

Post office numerous times to mail friends masks.

Definitely not shopping like pre COVID ( and saving tons of money!). Each visit is kept as brief as possible, wearing a mask, and social distancing. I bring wipes in with me to wipe down the carts and to wipe my hands frequently. Any merchandise is either let to sit for three days or wiped down or sprayed with Lysol when I get home. Car gets sprayed down, clothes changed. I feel I am pretty cautious......paranoid?!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-14-2020, 12:41 PM

I limit my trips most definitely. I do go to the grocery, but not nearly as much as before. Our numbers went up so I made an online order, but I will have to go myself for the next batch of stuff I need.

I went to Lowes once in Sept or Oct and on the same trip went to Ross' to pick up some cheap socks.

Other than that I have been in no stores. We haven't even eaten in a restaurant in ages. The last time we went (must have been Sept) we were sorely disappointed as the restaurant served on paper plates with these little plastic sporks. Wine was in a plastic beverage cup. It really ruined the idea of having a nice meal out. We did pick up food twice last week, but I think dh is getting sick of my cooking. I don't blame him!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 11-14-2020, 12:42 PM

During the shutdown, I was shopping every other week at the grocery store. Now I'm back to weekly grocery shopping. I have really cut back on 'fun' shopping, though. I very rarely go to a clothing or decor store. I figure it's saving me money, as well as germ exposure!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 11-14-2020, 12:44 PM

I order online, go through a drive through or have stuff delivered. Since March, I have been to the doctor twice and the pharmacy twice. I have not seen family members and only see friends in zoom meetings. I have been to the school building about 4 times but teach online. I have a friend that visits every couple of weeks but we meet outside, wear masks and stay 6 feet apart. I still feel that I have not been as careful as I should be considering that I have an underlying health issue. Some of my friends and family are being just as careful but some are not. I have gone to a salon to color my hair 3 times since March.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 11-14-2020, 12:55 PM

We loosened up slightly over the summer, as the spread slowed here. We would go out to eat on patios (never inside a restaurant), shopped for groceries, even went inside stores a couple of times if we couldn't get something online (of course masked, and as quickly in and out as possible).(We are doing minor re-modeling, and sometimes had to actually see if an item would work). Dh even attended church (with precautions) a couple of times. I did attend bookclub, and retired teachers gathering, all outside in a park, and brought our own food, beverage and chair.

Now, the virus is surging out of control in our area. We will be doing pick-up for groceries, and will use delivery or pick-up for other items. Patios are closed anyway because of the weather, so no more eating out. No more gatherings outside either, as the weather doesn't allow.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 11-14-2020, 01:01 PM

You can only do what your are comfortable with. I did grocery pickup even before the plague, so that really hasnít changed much. I still do some fun shopping, but that was never really my thing. The biggest change for us has been restaurants. Weíve eaten out and done pickup a bunch, but actually eating at a restaurant has been a bigger pain than itís been worth because of the capacity limits. Honestly, I donít miss it as much as I thought I would.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 PM

My shopping habits have changed based on my surroundings. When my county had 10 cases none active, I would go to stores on off times. Always with a mask.

Now, I do one fresh produce trip a week as soon as the store is open. In and out in less than 20 minutes. I am picky about produce and need to see it
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 PM

I think a lot of it depends on where you live, too. Our numbers were very low until the last few weeks. So I was pretty much back to normal shopping and eating out, just wore a mask. Also, DH has Alzheimer's and one of the few things he enjoys is shopping. He's home all day and doesn't have the attention span for TV. So we go wander around stores. We distance and wear masks.

But now numbers are up. We're staying home again somewhat. I can't imagine how I'd take care of DH if I was sick, so that's the biggest reason I'm staying home.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I'm like you.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:14 PM

I buy almost everything online. DH goes to the grocery store on his way home from work. He wears a mask when he goes in. I teach remotely from my classroom, and don't wear a mask while I teach unless someone else comes in. Occasionally, the principal comes in, we both wear masks as he says hi to the kids, and the counselor comes in to do a lesson. We both wear masks then. I do have to go to PLCs in another classroom, but I'm very uncomfortable with that. We never eat out, but we occasionally get take-out. We go to church, but we wear masks and social distance. I play the piano, so I'm distanced from others anyway. On nice days, we have church outside on the parking lot with people in their cars. I have a tread climber and a pool at home, so exercise is possible but not probable.

Anonymouse, we also had to get pushy with a couple of people who wouldn't keep their masks on at church. We have a large population of older people in our church. We had one lady who had been exposed at work. DH asked her to stay home for two weeks. She did, but when she came back, she wouldn't keep her mask on. DH approached her about it, and she decided not to come back to church. We felt bad, but we have to protect our elderly population.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Covid Shopping
Old 11-14-2020, 01:19 PM

I, too, am very cautious. I bought some duct tape at Walmart and thought it was a drive up and go item. It wasnít. I had to go inside the store to this robot tower to retrieve my tape. I was so creeped out!

Cases are rising and my county returned to the purple tier.

Iím trying to keep myself and my family safe. Itís a daily battle.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 11-14-2020, 01:20 PM

I don't even go into grocery stores. I do everything online with delivery or curbside pick up. The only exception is one medication that has to be refrigerated so it can't be delivered. I go in and out quickly to get that medication.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 11-14-2020, 02:22 PM

School f2f with mask wearing. Definitely the highest risk thing I partake in by far.
Church - mask plus distanced
Grocery/Walmart as needed with a mask probably 1x week
Samís Club about every 3 weeks with mask
Hair - 1 time since March with mask
Clothes - Amazon is my friend
Hobby Lobby - 2x since March. Fiber Arts are my stress/sanity. Mask, in and out.
Dollar Tree occasionally for school stuff. Mask, no browsing.
Restaurant-1 time since March masked as much as possible
Carry out - rarely. Maybe pizza for the kids
Delivery - not happening, I live in the middle of nowhere.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-14-2020, 02:45 PM

People are just about 100% compliant wearing masks around here. I go to the grocery store, Target, post office and even the mall a few times. I feel safest at the mall because everything is so spread out and I go when they first open so there are fewer people. I always have wipes and hand sanitizer with me. I do think I will venture out less with numbers rising again.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Stores
Old 11-14-2020, 03:18 PM

I occasionally go to a store that isn't a grocery. I wear a mask, and everyone else around does too. I go to outdoor cafes for coffee with friends, we sit six feet apart, and we keep our masks on when we are not drinking our beverages.

I don't socialize with anyone, including family members who are not in my household, indoors.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

COVID precautions
Old 11-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Whenever I get in the car to go anywhere I am always prepared with a mask and hand sanitizer plus wipes. I go to the grocery store and Trader Joe’s as well as to the hardware store if I need something I want to see before I buy. I have gotten takeout a few times but no meals eaten at restaurants, period.

I go to the dentist for my regular cleanings but I stretch out the time between haircuts. I’ve taken my dog to the vet but someone comes out to take my dog inside and then I talk to the vet and pay the bill by phone. My housekeeper likes to use a team of three but I asked her to make it only two persons, and they always are masked.

I did go to the Apple Store in my area when it reopened because I needed to replace my eight year old iPad and I didn’t want to buy something expensive without seeing exactly what I wanted in person. I had to make an appointment even to be allowed inside the store, and there were security guards there who strictly enforced masks and social distancing rules. I felt very safe and respected. One more reason I am a huge Apple fan.

Because of COVID concerns, I don’t indulge AT ALL in random browsing or shopping excursions. I’m not a big shopper but I do miss being able to browse like I used to do at Home Goods and Barnes and Noble and others.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 11-14-2020, 03:45 PM

What is really weird is one state is this way and one is that. No real truths. My uncle is in Idaho and they donít have rules and heís running all over the place and thinks it ok. Heís on a trip there. Then back to San Diego. Then massive family gathering. It is just nuts.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

cautious?
Old 11-14-2020, 04:20 PM

I live in an area with a lot of well-known scientists who work in immunology, virology, airborne infectious diseases, vaccines, and more. Some even live in my street. They have regular public Zoom lectures and podcasts, and one constant take from those lectures/podcasts is that Covid-19 is transmitted through aerosols. These C-19 aerosols can stay suspended in the air at face level indoors for 14 hours or longer if there is no proper ventilation. Even with good ventilation, a room can retain the virus for several hours.

Quote:
Am I the only one concerned about entering closed spaces?
I am as well.
One aerosol engineer who was an expert guest on one of the podcasts said that she only shops in stores that she knows are well-ventilated, and even then she will spend no more than 15 minutes inside, even with her medical grade N95 mask. Many older stores do not have the ventilation systems that can handle or fit the special HEPA13 (medical grade) filters that would filter out the tiny Covid particles. School buildings and churches have similar problems.

She mentioned all the "hygiene theater" with the plexiglass barriers does absolutely nothing to prevent the small aerosol particles from traveling indoors. The aerosols can go over the partitions, around corners and into the next rooms. As an example she said that if someone were to smoke in one room and you could smell it in the next room, that is how Covid spreads.

Masks help because they capture some of the aerosols, but everyone must wear one in order to slow down the transmission. Frequent hand washing is a no-brainer. Distancing is also important, as is opening all windows and using fans if you don't have a great ventilation system (which few places have).
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-14-2020, 04:46 PM

I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about work. I'm also a homebody, so I'm pretty content staying home most of the time. I do miss browsing around at Target and JoAnn's. I've been in Target a couple of times, once to pick up a prescription and once to get my flu shot. My husband does all the grocery shopping and usually picks up any prescriptions, but he's done that anyway for the last few years since we both retired. We have gotten take out a few times, but we have not eaten in any restaurants since this started. We do always wear masks and keep hand sanitizer in the car. I'm a big online shopper anyway, so I get most of the non-grocery stuff through Target, Amazon, and other online stores. Fortunately my favorite fabric places are online, plus I have a good stash, so I don't need to worry about running out of fabric to feed my sewing addiction.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-14-2020, 04:59 PM

I am shopping normally; with a mask, staying further away from people, and sanitizing. I still frequently shop online but that’s not new to Covid. I try to shop in person more at “off” times but with working full time that’s not always possible.
I also see a few friends on a regular basis. I do eat out but choose to sit outside. I’ve ordered food or done curbside pickup since March without concern,
I don’t have the luxury of being able to afford grocery delivery. I did it during lockdown but could never afford it long term.

I think everything you do in life has inherent risks and every person has to make their own choices given the risks. I also am a firm believer in the fact that one’s mental health is just as important as their physical health and smart choices need to be made to preserve that as well.

I’m wondering from many of these replies...
Are the majority people on this board retired?
It sounds like many of you still aren’t leaving your homes at all...
almost all businesses in my area now have employees back in the buildings. I am blessed to be teaching from home right now but am one of only seven able to do this is my school of over 70 teachers. For the majority of people I know staying home is not even an option.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 11-14-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
. She mentioned all the "hygiene theater" with the plexiglass barriers does absolutely nothing to prevent the small aerosol particles from traveling indoors. The aerosols can go over the partitions, around corners and into the next rooms. As an example she said that if someone were to smoke in one room and you could smell it in the next room, that is how Covid spreads.
The hygiene theater is even more infuriating than security theater has been in airports and the like.

Gromit

Old 11-14-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
. It sounds like many of you still arenít leaving your homes at all...
Thereís a Grand Canyon of difference between not leaving your home and not spending time indoors unnecessarily.

3monkeys

Old 11-14-2020, 05:04 PM

I go to the same stores as I always have. I wear a mask and use hand sanitizer when I exit the store. I try to distance myself from people as I shop. I have to do my own shopping as well as shopping for my elderly parents.

We are not going to church right now. The church members are not wearing masks. The sanctuary is not very big, so being close to others can be an issue.

I go to the gym. Planet Fitness opened up a new gym. It is a very large space and is not crowded. I am able to distance myself very easily from others. I clean the equipment before I use it and after I use it. I wear a mask when not actively exercising.

DH and I will sometimes go out to eat. We wear are masks until we are at our table. We go to places that have tables spread apart and are following COVID guidelines (staff wearing masks, etc.). We have talked about stopping that for a while because of rising numbers.

I am being cautious with mask-wearing, hand-washing and social distancing, but still living my life.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
. What is really weird is one state is this way and one is that. No real truths.
Not weird at all when you consider how politicized this has become. Some states have leaders that refuse to listen to science because they belong to the cult of Trump. Some states have leaders that are backing into listening to the scientists somewhat because they will defy Trump at all costs (but some of those are enacting inconsistent or wishy-washy orders). And some states have leaders that actually listen to the scientists.

There is real truth, you just can’t expect to listen to one person and be sure you have it.

I like the saying that I saw on Twitter: I really wish people would distinguish between “can’t trust a damn thing anyone says so I’m going to believe whatever I want” and “can’t trust a damn thing anyone says so I’m going to use my critical thinking skills to suss out the truth.”

GraceKrispy

Old 11-14-2020, 05:19 PM

Dh shops for groceries at Costco and a few grocery stores, and the rest of us occasionally go into a store to get food. We haven't done any online grocery shopping. We are pretty quick about it.

We haven't gone into any other types of stores, except my daughter once or twice for a few small things for Halloween. I've bought a few things on Amazon but really not that many.

We've gotten take-out (and sometimes go in to pick it up), but not eaten in any restaurants.

I did go to several doctor visits.

I went on a socially distanced walk outside with a friend (masked). That's the extent of any actual personal interaction.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 11-14-2020, 06:41 PM

I shop for groceries only when I absolutely have to. I use curbside delivery for food and target. Indoor dining and nail salons are still closed here. I wouldnít go if they were open. My still laid off dd will be moving home when her lease is up at the end of the year. We are talking about the logistics of doing this safely.

Last night the news covered a story of how people do not need to hoard. My local chain supermarket is selling four packs of toilet paper for $7.59 today.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 11-14-2020, 10:48 PM

I go to the same stores as before. I shop for groceries once a week at Walmart or Kroger. We wear masks in the store. I go to Target as we get our prescriptions at CVS there. We got our flu shots there today. I've shopped at Kohls a few times. We've gone out to restaurants at least once a week. We wear a mask going in until we are seated. We tend to go earlier (4:30) to avoid any crowds and usually on a Wednesday as it's not as crowded as on the weekend. We are living our life but being careful. (I am teaching remotely from home).
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 11-15-2020, 02:31 AM

I shop online-Amazon mostly. I do curbside pickup for groceries.
I did take granddaughter for shoes the other day since she had to try them on. We wore masks and the store had hand sanitizer at the entrance/exit which we used when we left. It was fairly quick-I had explained we were in a mission, no time to browse There was only one other masked customer, so I felt safe.

This is one thing I'm really looking forward to. Just browsing and taking time to shop...
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 11-15-2020, 03:41 AM

Iím not shopping as much but I still go into stores. I avoid shopping on Saturday or Sunday because the stores are crazy busy and I donít want to be with a large crowd. Iíve been to the mall, Hobby Lobby, Kohlís, and Target. The crowds were pretty small during the week.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 11-15-2020, 06:32 AM

I order everything online and do curbside pickup for groceries. Prescriptions get picked up through the drive thru. I really miss browsing through the grocery store and Target.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 11-15-2020, 06:51 AM

I go into various stores if there is something specific I need. I don't go just to browse. But, in my area masks and social distancing is strictly enforced. And if it looks crowded, I will leave. I mostly am buying essentials, so it's usually a grocery or drugstore.

I have only gone into restaurants a few times to pick up takeout-- wouldn't eat inside.

Library has curbside pickup.

I did go into a mall last week to get my ears repierced (after 20 years, my holes had closed up). But, the piercing stand was near the entrance and nobody was milling around. I was inside for less than 5 minutes probably. It did feel very weird to be in a mall.

ETA: I am thankful to be teaching from home. It is definitely through December. We will see in January. The health metrics need to be at a certain level before they would reopen school.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I have only gone into
Old 11-15-2020, 07:14 AM

a supermarket during senior hours, one every few weeks
the pharmacy for a flu shot
a doctor's office because I had lyme's disease
and the outdoor nursery to buy plants
a local farm stand where they are extremely careful about following the mandates.

That is since March.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote