Help

Teachers' Lounge

Am I wrong?

>

Amiwrong

Amiwrong

Am I wrong?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:07 AM

Over time, my entire family has moved to a city two hours away. I am unable to afford the high cost of living there and I am still in our hometown. Due to the pandemic, (and just plain fatigue) I decided to not travel there for Thanksgiving.(Our cases are spiking here.) My siblings asked if I could drive there and "visit" my parents through the window or outside with masks/socially distant. The visit would be short. I have been teaching in person full time since August. This is our first day off this school year. My parents say they are totally understanding. Yet my brothers are saying I should stop for an hour. I guess I am looking for some support and understanding.

cemsnowy4

Old 11-26-2020, 12:46 PM

I don’t think your wrong and your brothers and sisters should keep their opinions to themselves. FaceTiming is just as good as seeing them through a window and your parents understand. Enjoy your day and hopefully we’ll be back to normal soon.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-26-2020, 03:06 PM

I agree with cemsnowy. Facetime/Skype/Zoom/Whatever would be a much better option than standing outside for an hour to visit through a window (and driving 4 hours to go back and forth).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-26-2020, 03:30 PM

Two hours there. One hour visit with you outside. Two hours home. That's four hours of travel for a one hour visit. Add in the need to use the facilities somewhere in this.

No, you are not being unreasonable. You are being sensible. Your siblings are not thinking this through. Its easy to suggest something when you are not the one doing the driving.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-26-2020, 03:41 PM

I think zoom is a much better option. You'll be able to actually "visit" more than trying to see someone through a window.

My family ate lunch together on zoom and then did a few games that we could make work via zoom (scategories and yahtzee). Of course it's not the same as being there in person but we made the best of a bad situation.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I've done the visit through the window
Old 11-26-2020, 04:40 PM

It is frustrating and inefficient. We found that even though my mom was really close by, it was better to visit via FaceTime. I could hear what she was saying without her having to yell. She could hear me better also, and so the flow of conversation was more natural. Looking through the window there was a glare that made seeing any detail difficult. FaceTime gave me a better sense of how my mom was doing physically. Don't give up your first day off for a long trip and an unsatisfying visit. Use technology to make contact, and enjoy your day.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-26-2020, 04:43 PM

I agree with others, do Zoom if you are able. Your brothers don't understand all that is involved in travel especially at the holidays.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-27-2020, 09:56 AM

I don't think you're wrong at all. I agree that a phone call or zoom visit is best here.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote