Help

Violet Room

Roxaboxen

>

MrsWatson

Roxaboxen
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are working on making connections when reading. I have a list of picture book suggestions for text to self, text to text, and text to world connections. Roxaboxen is suggested for text to world. I don't mean to sound stupid, but can someone help me understand why it's good for this purpose? Is it just about how the kids create their own version of the real world when they are playing??

LaVerne

maps
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would use it to discuss maps and drawing their own playing spots. It was at a geography workshop where I was first exposed to this book there so I think that it could connect to mapwork and your own directions and landmarks where you live. Just my take on it...

1956BD

Connections
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The real world has communities and so do the children in their play in this story. In the real world we have leaders and so do the children in the way they play and pretend in Roxaboxen.

bridgitta

Play Roxaboxen
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It may be a bit late to post this message but maybe you can use it for next year. My 3rd grade class loved to play Roxaboxen. We would take them outside in a big field, let them decide who will be mayor and let 'em go. They would use rocks, sticks and anything else imaginable to create their houses and money. It was a fantastic way to get students outside AND using their imagination- both of which kids don't get to do much of these days.