Help

Violet Room

Added a new book title to my blog...

>

cvolcteacher

Added a new book title to my blog...
Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last week I picked up a great new book about "Friendship" called "So Close" by Natalia Colombo. It's a very simple picture book but suitable for any elementary school grade level.

I put a "review" of it on my blog with a few discussion questions and points I'll try to bring out when I introduce it to my own students this fall.

Since it's a fairly new book (2008), I thought I'd post a link here in case it might interest someone:
http://disciplineanswers.com/lesson-so-close-colombo/

This summer, as I prepare to move from grade one to a developmentally appropriate, full day K program, I've been taking armloads of books home from the public library every few days. I love children's books! One of my goals for myself this year is to be sure and include read-alouds many times a day. I'm also moving schools and the kids that I will have come from very impoverished backgrounds. I want to expose them to lots and lots of wonderful books.

I've been xeroxing the front covers of any books that are worth reading and putting them in a binder. I jot down a quick summary on the back as well as a few notes to myself about how I might be able to use the book. I know that I won't have very much time through the year for browsing in the library and it's impossible (for me) to simply remember which books are the ones I thought would be good to read.

Occasionally, I find one so great, I want to post it to my blog!

Here's the link to other books I've also posted with lesson ideas this summer. Since my blog is focused on classroom management and discipline this books all connect to introducing procedures, establishing expectations and teaching kids about things related to self-control. They might be helpful to someone I hope!

http://disciplineanswers.com/categor...to-literature/

Hope everyone gets off to a good start this year!

Kerry in BC

maisha

Question
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kerry, thanks for the information about "So Close". I'll look for it and use it when discussing friendship with my grade 1 students next week.
I have a question about another topic for you. I have checked out your blog and information about Marvin Marshall's book Discipline Without Stress. Your blog is very helpful with many questions I have about procedures and classroom management. But, I could not find where I could ask you a question on your blog, so I am sending you a question via PT.
I especially like the Character building information that Discipline Without Stress offers. But, I am wondering about the vocabulary used for the Hierarchy of Social Development. Do you have different words that you use for grade one children? I especially find that the words, Democracy and Anarchy can be changed for younger children, but I haven't been able to think of alternatives. What do you use? Thanks for your suggestions.

cvolcteacher

Hi Maisha,
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

More important than the actual names of the levels is the concept behind each. Once you have explained the concept using the terms (Anarchy, Bossing/Bullying etc.) then you can simply refer to the levels as "Level A, Level B and so on.)

I know that sometimes people are bothered by the names but I've never worried about it. I focus instead on the concepts. I rarely mention the two actual terms Anarchy/Democracy. Anarchy is easy enough to explain to kids... they've seen others get hurt. They've seen vandalized buildings. They understand this.

Democracy, to me, is a harder term to explain to young kids. In the States, kids may know the term democracy in relation to political systems... not sure. In Canada, no young child knows this term at all. The way Dr. Marshall explains Level D is this: In a democracy, people need to take initiative in order for democracy to work. They need to take responsibility for running the country, being a good citizen etc. Essentially, the level of Democracy is the level of taking initiative in any way.... taking the initiative to be kind, to be honest, to be responsible, to persevere when there are challenges etc.

Dr. Marshall wouldn't mind you changing the names to other terms using A, B, C, D and many discussions have been held on the DWS mailring about what alternate terms could be to label the levels and still keep the same MEANINGS. So far no one has come up with any that are as good. Some people use "Absence of Order" for level A, but I don't really think that expresses exactly the same concept as "anarchy" and would it be any easier to explain to little people? Probably not.

I just explain the concepts in as simple way as I can using real life simple examples:

Level A - this is the lowest level, the level of people getting really really hurt (feelings or physically) Always unacceptable.

Level B - The level of bossing, bullying, bothering others, making up your own "rules." No one is actually getting physically hurt at this level so it's not as low as Level A. However, this level is always unacceptable too.

Level C - The level of external motivation. It's acceptable. It means that you look to other people to let you know what is right to do. It's the level of being willing to cooperate but not put forth much further effort than is asked of you. It's a kind of ho-hum level but it's certainly acceptable. It's the level of waiting for others to direct you. This is the level of being cooperative in school and doing what is expected of you.

Level D - The level of internal motivation, the highest level of all. This level is a choice. No one can make you want to be at this level. It's voluntary which is what makes it so special. Many people WANT to be at this level because when you are directing yourself, you feel capable and good about your decisions. You don't follow others, you guide yourself. It feels great to be in charge of yourself in this way.

Here's how Dr. Marshall explains you might introduce the term to anarchy to both older and younger students:
http://disciplineanswers.com/hierarc...ching-anarchy/

As my very first introduction, I use a concrete visual of the four levels. It's very simple and people use it in my school K-6. You can find out how to access them here:
http://disciplineanswers.com/introduce-hierarchy-trash/

You can see photos of these four simple stick-figure posters too on the DWS mailring. Directions for finding them are given above. It does require membership in this yahoo group. I can't find any way to get personal photos uploaded on my blog because I'm not such a techie unfortunately!

Many people who are new to this approach fuss a lot over the names and the initial introduction of the levels. Then typically, they never mention the hierarchy again... until they have a discipline problem. This really doesn't work. The better way is to quickly introduce the levels and then return to them many times over, always focusing on the positive and discussing primarily how good it feels to be internally motivated. This approach really only works if you use it on an ongoing basis to motivate kids to want to be on Level D. (Of course, you don't expect them to be on Level D because it's voluntary. You simply point out that this is always an exciting option to choose.) When you use it as a motivational system, THEN when you have a discipline problem you can handle it effectively and in a positive manner. That's the key.

This post might be helpful:
http://disciplineanswers.com/levels-math-corrections/

It's one example from my own grade one class of how I use the Hierarchy on an ongoing basis, pointing out that Level D is voluntary.

Hope some of this helped. If you still have a question, just ask again and I'll try to explain better!

You can reach me with questions on my blog simply by leaving a comment on any blog entry. It doesn't matter if your question isn't actually connected to the topic of the posting... I will still receive it! Or you can send me a private message on PT.

Best wishes!
Kerry