Center Activities

I'm in a jam!

>

bubbleepink

I'm in a jam!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone!!
I was just given my timetable for tomorrow and I have 2 hours of literacy (English language arts). I have no idea what I am going to do!!! Please help. I was looking for premade centres that I could use.

ANY help would be great!

Thanks
BP

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

buggybear

Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

www.fcrr.org has centers that you can make. However, don't panic! I have that much time if not more in my classroom. Do you have a basal for reading? I spend 1 hour a day doing whole group reading instruction where the students listen, partner read, or orally read the weekly story and do vocabulary activities as well. Then, we spend about thirty minutes doing language arts skill where I do about 15 minutes whole group and then about 15 minutes where students are independently working on skill. Last, about 50 minutes to 1 hour is spent doing centers or literacy stations. The students rotate to different stations that are set up for a week at a time. Since you are introducing them to centers, I would only start with one a day for each group. Here are some examples of what I do in my classroom:

Computer - http://www.internet4classrooms.com/s...ngbuilders.htm
That is a great site to use during station time. Pick a skill for the students to review and have them only play the games at the site that go with that skill.
Writing station - use a story starter and some writing stationary, or have the students write what they want.
Listening - books on tape/cd, students can fill out response sheet about book.
Game/File Folder station- students play a learning board game or complete file folder games.
Buddy reading - students read with a paired-up partner.

As you get the students into rules and procedures with station time, you can gradually add more during this time! This is my favorite time of the day! Enjoy!
buggybear is offline   Reply With Quote

PBobcats4

How I do it
Old 09-01-2010, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do things a little differently. I have a 2 hour block as well for reading.

Monday- We go over the weekly skill, vocabulary, spelling, listening comprehension, grammar, and writing. We have last start so we only have hour and a half. This usually take up my whole time, since we do a grammar check as well.

Tuesday- We do some building background, listen to the basal story, do some questions about the story, do some more vocabulary, and then we do a pre-write for our weekliy writing assignment.

Wednesday and Thursday- They are in centers. I have six centers that are about 15-20 minutes each. Lit circle w/ me, computers, writing, grammar/vocab,Task Menu, focus skill of the week/ Ar reading. Then the last 30 minutes we do our writing for the week.

Friday- we test our spelling and basal story. They get to re-listen to their basal story before they take the test and use their book. We then finish our writing for the week, and with the time left over we doe ither Scholastic News or character education.

There were some really good task cards on here and I use them for my centers. I also use things from my teacher edition basal book for center ideas as well, as mine has an area on how to hit other areas.
PBobcats4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Take it To Your Seat Folders
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

are available at your local school supply store - you have to cut them out and put them together, but they're great independent work stations. They mostly cover grammar.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote