Help

Forget-me-not Room

no more I'm Done questions

>

violetsrblu

no more I'm Done questions
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am using this book and love it but had a few questions that I was wondering if someone could help me with. I teach first grade and am trying to follow the conferencing that she outlined in the book. But..
1. My first graders don't write much and then they want to conference with me and so I have kids that are waiting to put their name up toconference. I remind them that we are always working on writing but then I usually get 4 one sentence stories. Should we work one adding a new detail to one and just keep working on one or should I look at all of their stories?
2. Also, I know it said to avoid editing all over their paper, and I am really enjoying concentrating on their ideas and not the conventions but dothey ever see it comleely edited? Or do we just edit when it is published?
3. Do we publish every piece they write? I used to work with one groupeach day and they would edit one day and then publish the next day by rewriting their story. I am not having them rewrite anymoe after reading the book but wondered if we should plan on publishing all of theirstories that they write.
4. How do I pick author's chair? Is it anyone that conferenced with me? But they all can't do it because it should only be 3 each day so I was not sure if I just pick 3 each day or if there was a system that someone uses that helps.

Any help that anyone can give me, I would really appreciate it.

MissyMissy

Here's what's working for me so far:
Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 2nd grade, but I taught 1st for 10 years. This is my first year w/ WW. Here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Part 1: Mine can only conference once a week, but so far I'm not keeping up with it like I should. I just keep saying, today is Monday, so if you conf. (or shared) today, then you can't do it again until next Monday, etc.

Part 2: Even tho I'm tching 2nd, I have one kid who has a HUGE stack of one liners in his writing folder. Regardless, I let the kids who conf. w/ me choose the piece that they want to conf. about. I think you can def. discuss the one liner problem at that conference.

2. We haven't gotten to editing yet, but I have two moms coming in (one on Mon. and the other on Tues.) to publish w/ kids. She is typing as they read their stories, and she is talking w/ them about things that need to be corrected.

3. I don't think it's possible to publish every piece. I think we're on day 15 or so of WW, and not everyone has published yet. I gave them all an index card w/ their name on it, and they put it up in a pocket chart when they are ready to publish. The mom who works with them takes their card after publishing, and they won't get it back until everyone has published one piece. And, I'm going to get the mom who comes Mon. to go through the published pieces and see who hasn't published. Then she'll call them over to see if she can coax them into choosing a piece.

4. My kids just sign up as they do for conf. In my room, it can be anyone, not just kids who have conferenced. And again, if it's Wed. when they share, they can't sign up again until the next Wed.

Again, I'm NEW at this, but this is what I'm dong so far.

-Jen