Bluebonnet Room

Word Journeys by Kathy Ganske

>

jessy430

Word Journeys by Kathy Ganske
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

I was hoping to get a better insight regarding the Word Journeys levels phonetic approach to spelling. I have recently purchased the book and have been reading up on this spelling approach. I haven't been able to find very many readymade resources online or opinions of this program. If anyone has experience with this approach I would greatly appreciate your thoughts or any resources that you have made to help. I teach first grade and am looking for this method of teaching spelling as most of you know each class has such a variation of word knowledge and they would all greatly benefit from separate leveled spelling list and instruction.

I Teach First

Word Journeys
Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you heard of Words Their Way? It is basically a program based on Word Journeys. I use the assessment from Word Journeys, but the sequence from WTW. I love it!

pbk3y

Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree the assessment from Word Journeys is fantastic. It is more detailed. It is then easy to find where to begin instruction in the Words Their Way sort books.
jkappy

jkappy

Great website
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try this website. It has two different types of sorts. You can click on either Davis or Dug Gap to see the list of extensive sorts. They are lettered to correspond to the features of the placement assessment. Good luck!

pencil74

Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always assess my students, like the other posts stated, using Dr. Ganske's DSA from Word Journeys. I was fortunate to have her as my professor for a Word Study course in my Reading program!! I have heard that the sequence in Words Their Way is somewhat easier to follow, but I continue to use a lot of the sorts and strategies presented in Ganske's book. I also have another book by her called Word Sorts and More which you might find very useful!!! Good Luck!

OKTeach1

Can you tell me
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the website you were referring? Thank you.

Mom121165

Mom121165
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you give a weekly test? If so do you count the feature or the whole word correct? Example: the word is drip, the feature is dr, the student spells the word droo, is this correct or do they need to have the whole word spelled correctly