Help

Bluebonnet Room

Classroom Library Organization

>

twinlove

Classroom Library Organization
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering how others have their classroom library organized? I have hundreds of books and I am going to level them all this summer. What is the most effecient way to organize books?

splinter84

depends
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use the AR reading program so I have divided them that way with a different color on the spine. For example, 3.0-3.4 = brown, 3.5-3.9 = orange etc.

tchr45th

colored dots
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do the dots, but also write the actual level in perm marker on the bottom of the front cover. It is not a flashy way to code books, but it works. My low 2nd gr readers need a 1.1 not a 1.9. so that can make a difference. Now I just tell them--1.0-1.5 and they know exactly what to look for.

yumateach99

Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading levels, A-Z. It's easy for students to remember their just-right book level, and it's quick and easy to organize. There is a book wizard on the Scholastic web site that provides different levels for a ton of books.

amp1225

AR levels
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have printed address labels with the following information:

My name
AR level

I fill all of this information out and put it on the book. I, then, have baskets from "Really Good Stuff" labeled 0.1-1.9, 2.0-2.9, 3.0-3.9, etc.

The kids know where the book goes and management is easy. I keep a few baskets for non-AR books. This is in the 3rd grade. They have kept up with it nicely.

Savvy

organization
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I organize books by genre. My baskets are labeled and each book has a small white label on the front with the genre name. To help students quickly identify if the book is on their reading level, I have placed a color dot on the front. (red=1.0-1.9, yellow 2.0-2.9, green=3.0-3.9, blue=4.0-4.9, orange=5.0-5.9, etc.) On the inside of each book, I list the actual book level, AR Quiz number, and the Possible Quiz Points. The kids really love it because it makes things simple for them. I also make sure to place a label with my name o nthe outside of the book and also write my name inside. Once you get into the rhythm, it doesn't take very long to do.

Here are the two websites that I use:
Leveling Books- 1. Google: Scholastic Reading Counts (browse the e-catalog) 2. Renaissance Learning: (Quiz Store-AR Labels)-renlearn dot com (I wrote it this way because it won't post with the actual website)

scrapits

I'm currently leveling my books for next year
Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I bought small white rectangular stickers to write AR level. I'm also using color coded dots to organize the books by genre. I have to buy new baskets for the books. Last year I had them on the bookshelf, but a lot of books were not taken care of. My kids did better when they pulled from a basket.
cshortt

cshortt

classroom library
Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Google "Beth Newingham" and check out her site. She has an extensive explanation of her classroom library with pictures. I modeled mine after hers and it works great.

Tpagatr

Tpagatr

depends on grade(s)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Middle school: I organize by genre.

IssyTeacher

library
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Current research says that only about one-third of your classroom library should be leveled, so that students are also getting practice choosing just-right books for themselves even without the aid of colored dots or stickers.

My library is organized by theme/genre, and my class (25 second graders) organized it together in the first 5 days of the school year. We have bins for things like holidays, friendship, poetry, songbooks, adventure, humor, etc. My books that I have leveled have the level written discreetly inside the back cover. The levels are really just for my reference. My kids don't know their own levels.

However, I did spend a considerable amount of time teaching my kids to choose just-right books for themselves in the beginning of the year, and I constantly reinforce the importance of that!