Help

Center Activities

Moving to 5th Grade

>

IndyCarTeach

Moving to 5th Grade
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently found out that I am moving to 5th grade. ( I was at 4th. Not a huge jump but a jump nonetheless.) I was wondering what kind of Centers your could do for a 5th grade class? Are they too old for centers? How would you utilize them in the classroom. I can see a Creative Writing Center. But what else am I missing.. We will be doing Old World History (This can get boring I would love to see a couple of center Ideas for this one) Just anything you can do please help! Please and Thank you

IndyCarTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught 5th, I did literacy stations, not centers. I used Debbie Diller's suggestions in Practice with a Purpose, so I had stations like: Listening Workstation (books on tape, Spelling/vocabulary Workstation (magnet letters, spelling games, like hangman, sometimes a workbook page or gameboard with vocab words), computer workstation (any kind of webquest or online review game or other learning game), newspaper workstation (current events...maybe you could tie that into your World History curriculum), geography workstation (like a Where in the World is...), Grammar Workstation (usually games I made...I used workbook pages to make gamecards, but you could use some of the task cards that are posted on this board to make gamecards.
Anyway, the premise behind Literacy workstations is that they are literacy-related activities that extend learning (no new concepts) while small group instruction is taking place in the classroom. I used them while I conducted Literature Circles or Guided Reading Groups. The workstations stay pretty constant throughout the year...you don't really switch them out as much as you do traditional centers.
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

polkadot86

literacy centers
Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also read Debbie Diller's Practice With Purpose. It is a great book that will help you establish a center routine. Based on her book, I created 4 centers that were titled the same thing each week- Target Skill (skill work like a game with whatever the reading skill was for the week), NonFiction (some type of article or activity that uses non fiction text- or something social studies or science related) Technology (computer, smartboard, or listening), Word Work (vocabulary activities). The activities in them changed. The students rotated through each of these each week while I did guided reading groups. I actually had 4 rotations- centers (2 kids per center), teacher table (guided reading with me), independent work, and partner work (partner reading selection, reader's theatre, etc). Make sure you establish a routine early on and that the students realize that these centers arn't just for fun-they have to do the work. To add some accountability, my students had a center notebook that they completed each center in. I checked this every so often.
Hope this helped!
polkadot86 is offline   Reply With Quote

JennNelson

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do centers 4 days a week with my 5th graders. Students rotate and visit one center each day. During center time, I call each group back to me for about 15 minutes for small group instruction. I usually have one writing center- at the end of the year, it is always poetry, but a the beginning we do something different each week. It might be a prompt that goes along with their weekly story, or a creative writing center, or they might write a story and include all of their weekly vocabulary words, etc. One center is usually a computer center- students work on one of 3 reading strategy programs, or I find a website game or online activity for them to complete. One is a skill center- they practice the reading strategy for the week. This might include them reading a picture book and completing a graphic organizer, or some other activity that requires them to use the weekly skill. The last center is usually a listening center or vocabulary center. Students might listen to a picture book on tape and complete an activity or answer a set of questions about the book. For vocab, they might have a cut and paste activity or play vocabulary bingo. Of course the four centers change some weeks and we vary it up, but this is generally how I set my centers up.
JennNelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Fiifth Grade Stations
Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have attached the plan I use for station time in my fifth grade class.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Literacy Stations 2011-12.doc (34.0 KB, 712 views)
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmesande

I teach 5th
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and I use "reading stations". Everytime we begin a new story, I don't do weekly because as you know things come up, the students make a folder out of construction paper. In the folder they put their spelling contract, (a contract with a list of activities that go with their spelling words) the questions they answer from the end of the story, and usually some type of grammar, focus skill activity and geography activity. These are all due on the last day of our story which is usually a 5 or 6 day rotation. During the week, they are free to do these things at their own pace as long as it is done by the end of the story. They do these things while I work with my different reading groups. They are also required to buddy read or listen to the story at least once. I also have a computer station where they can go on study island or take AR tests. I usually create one station a week that involves the smart board such as web scavenger hunts etc. Take it to your seat reading games are also available for them and of course silent reading! This seems to work for me, and it seems to keep them actively engaged because there is always options for them.
teachmesande is offline   Reply With Quote

3704lime

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for sharing! I am trying to figure out my stations. Your plans will really help!
3704lime is offline   Reply With Quote

mariamcintyre

Math
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you have a plan that you use in 5th grade for math stations?
mariamcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote