Help

Center Activities

Third Grade Centers

>

Dutchie's Mom

Third Grade Centers
Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am in need of new centers for the upcoming year. In the past I have had a reading/listening center, computer, math, writing, and games. I am in need of some new ideas for these centers and any other center Ideas you can help with.
Thanks!

Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

I'm trying a new center this year.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am implementing an information resources center. I will have reference books for the students to use. I will have a weekly worksheet which the students will complete using the reference books. I plan to have disctionaries, thesauruses (sp?), encyclopedias, an atlas, phone books, and any other sort of book that I feel will be helpful (like a science textbook). Information resources is a big part of our state test.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Win3teach

Have you tried this?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This website has great centers that you can print ...

http://www.fcrr.org/

Also, I like the "Take It To Your Seat" books. The centers are ready-made and easy to make!
Win3teach is offline   Reply With Quote

manny69

centers
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a typed up sheet w all the centers and directions and we glue it to inside of school journals and write Centers Journals on it.
Before they go to cntr write name of cnter...
For ex)

Nonfiction cntr: take 2 books to desk (or pillows on carpet depndng on behavr) at buzzr write title of book, must complete one or 2 response questions...like...what r two facts you lrnd...or the title, heading subhding and how all connect...or what's the big idea of the pages you read and what features helped you.

Fiction center: 2 books to desk/carpet...write title of book, describe main character using a trait and evidence...or...use a trait and say if you would be their friend why or why not? Or what was a theme for what you read today and why?

Test taking cntr: insert a readng comp in plastic sleeve and comp qs on other side...answer w dry erase and circle evidence...or write out answers w evidence...or if vocab and sent structure type of test taking, have two sides of that.

Writing cntr: response to lit w a chart of ex up in class, they reply to eithr a read aloud or assignd anthology or a short tale one page.

Poetry: have a few baskets of poetry. Pick one poem and and in directions it has list of poetry things to choose from like write a simile or metaph you found, or write a stanza and what each line means, or what's the theme and how do you know? If finish early, write similar poem and draw pic to go w it.

I have more ideas too. Just ask.
* at end of 2nd cntr we gathr on carpet in crcle...kids share out...I pick a card/stud # and they "check audience" and read response speaking clearly.
This holds them accountable and I don't have to collect all time to grade.
manny69 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachbyday

Poetry
Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a poetry center where students have to either write what the poem is about, circle/highlight/underline certain parts of speech, draw a picture of what they are envisioning as they read the poem, what they liked/didn't like about the poem, find certain things within the poem (homophones, similies, word families, etc)

I also have a word study center that I either have students do some word study game (hangman, word rummy, word yahatzee, etc), word sorts, word ladders/pyramids, etc.

teachbyday is offline   Reply With Quote

yanna08

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am a new special education third grade teacher and I need all of the help that I can get I realize that I will have to tweak some of my centers maybe due to low ability, but it still gives me ideas to think about. Thanks again!
yanna08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dutchie's Mom

Ty~
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help. I will start working on them today!
Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

1stdaughter

Centers Journal
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really like your idea of a journal to use for center accountability! I am tired of trying to keep up with all of the loose papers that are generated each day for each center....thanks so much for sharing!
1stdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote