Help

Writing & Language Arts

The Writing Academy

>

ElemenTchr

The Writing Academy
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone been trained by The Writing Academy out of Texas? I was just looking for feedback on how people who have been trained through this program have found it working in the classroom.

ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

TXTeachBrandi

TXTeachBrandi

Writing Academy
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been twice. The first time was geared for TAKS. They have lots of hands on ideas, but I just didn't have time for them all in my classroom. I picked the few I thought I could use. We went back this Fall for the expository STAAR writing workshop and loved it. We bought the curriculum and stayed through lunch to be trained. Randi gave us lots of ideas to use and help the kids narrow their writing down to 26 lines, but making sure to add in 'extras' to get more 3's and 4's on papers. I would recommend!

historynerd39

Never heard of it
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This sounds awesome. I teach at a private school and our workshops and resources are limited. Can I get more information about this academy? I'm struggling to help my 4th graders with STAAR writing this year.
historynerd39 is offline   Reply With Quote

coachgrl

I've been!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to a 2 day training in Kemah for middle school writing (narrative and expository). It was very helpful, but overwhelming. I need to sort through it all again this summer. There were some things I was able to implement right away, and some that I will be starting our the year with next year. They give some great ways to help your students throughout all stages of writing. Their ideas are interactive and creative. My kids (7th and 8th) have enjoyed a lot of their brainstorming and revision games. If you have the opportunity to go, TAKE IT!!!! Be sure to bring a co-worker with you. The more ears, the better.
coachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote