Help

Writing & Language Arts

teaching grammar through writing

>

mel5th

teaching grammar through writing
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone teacher grammar through writing? I currently teach it independently of writing, but refer back to it when we do do our writing activities. If you do this, what teacher resources/books do you use?

Mel

mel5th is offline   Reply With Quote

lingrad89

I use
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Jeff Anderson's Mechanically Inclined
lingrad89 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Journals
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have my students journal about three times a week. I vary the topic of my journals depending upon what my focus is for the week. If I'm looking for adjectives, verbs, subjects or predicates then I use narrative writing prompts or photographs (for each prompt I require at least 12 sentences). Once my students have finished their journal writing, I have them highlight all "adjectives" in they used in their writing. I have them call them out and I write them on the white board. If my students need further practice then we do a few sample sentences on a new piece of paper for classwork or an extension activity from the text. I have even given them a list of "nouns" to use within their writing and then had them share how they used the word in the sentences to determine subject or object. I do so much of my grammar instruction through student writing.
I hope you find a few things you can use to try. I don't have any recommmendations on specific texts or teacher resources; it just seems to be a natural way to teach grammar when it's taught separately from literature. It's teaching that sticks!
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachr4

Mechanically Inclined
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How do you set up your lessons? I bought this book and like some of the things he says but still trying to set it in motion. Can you help?
Teachr4 is offline   Reply With Quote