Social Studies

Social Studies Middle School Praxis

>

jmc5

Social Studies Middle School Praxis
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
(Not sure if this is the right board, I'm new here.)

I'm a K-5 cert. teacher and after three years of no jobs I've decided to put my 15 history/government college credits to use and take the middle school praxis. I'm pretty good with US history so I was wondering, besides the praxis study guide, (it has terrible reviews) what did you use to study? (especially for content areas that are not US History) And any tips on what I can expect going in to the test. Thanks!

jmc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

fortheloveof

Study Guides
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Cliff Notes study guide was great! The test really covers EVERYTHING. Mine even had some art history and science history questions. However, I didn't think it was too hard. I think a lot of the questions could be answered using common sense and good test taking strategies.
fortheloveof is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I took the HS praxis for SS, but I used "US History for Dummies" and "World History for Dummies" and I passed with 15 points to spare.

I agree with the PP; use test taking strategies; there is almost always one answer tin the MC section that is just ridiculous. Brush up on your civics/Constitution stuff.

The only thing I remember about the short essay is that my US history one was about the impact of the Triangle trade. Pretty straightforward if I remember right.

Good luck!
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Praxis
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I studied with a couple of books, including those that don't get good reviews online, lol. I think the most useful thing I did was pay to download a guide to the test- I think it's offered through ETS (?). The guide offered me a long list of topics, and then I made sure that I studied every one of those topics- world history in addition to American history. I was lucky because I had access to middle school and high school level textbooks via both my job and my own children, so I used those to study the list.....maybe you could get some from craigslist or ebay. I passed on my first try. Good luck!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote