Help

Intervention & Title I Services

How do you schedule?

>

Kab164

How do you schedule?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question (and it's probably been asked since 1960's when Title was first created). How do you schedule services and what do your title kids miss when they are doing an intervention? We work inside of the classrooms for math but reading is pull out for the most part. I know it is less than ideal, I get that. But I also don't see any way around it? Please tell me you have a wonderful solution, I'm very discouraged this year. Thanks

Kab164 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Schedule
Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We currently have a built in intervention time in our schedules. Every grade has this time built in and that is when Title I sees their groups as well.
Before this, Title I would take their groups when the classroom teachers had their group time, usually the last part of reading.
cabernet is online now   Reply With Quote

Kab164

Old 10-13-2014, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. What are the non title students during this intervention time? Our problem is our specials schedule, it is so complicated and I have to schedule around that. There isn't a set time for any grade level where they could all have an intervention, because one class or more would always be at a special.
Kab164 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have worked at several buildings and the schedule at the beginning of the year is always the hardest.

For all schools I tried to pull groups from a time in the classroom that wasn't "critical". I usually pulled from science, social studies or during a time during the reading block when the students were independently working. Most teachers are pretty willing to work with the times students are pulled. One year I had a teacher that wasn't so willing to bend, and we had to take his students during recess. The kids weren't upset, but I was. Those kids were the ones who most need the time to build social relationships. But, since they weren't getting their work done in the classroom and the teacher wouldn't send them to recess anyway, I guess it worked.

I never pulled students during math instruction, whole group reading instruction or specials.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Pulling students during intervention time? Is this RTI time? Title I services are suppose to be offered on top of what all students have access to. It should be in addition to RTI time not instead of RTI time. I work with each grade level and figure out a time that works. I usually take students during reading centers which is on top of the 90 minute reading block, independent work time, morning work time, etc. There's usually 30 minutes they can make work for me. It's challenging to make sure it doesn't cut from anything essential but everyone does the best they can. As far as unbending teachers, it's like an IEP. Students are obligated to have access to it if they qualify. Teachers *have* to make time for it and that shouldn't be allowed to come out of recess. Also, who has a 30 minute recess? For tier 3 students especially they should be getting 60 minutes of intervention everyday. My tier 3 students get this with RTI plus Title I services. Honestly, most my students are probably tier 2 and are still getting the 60 minutes.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Intervention time
Old 10-14-2014, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our intervention time is set up for additional intervention. The classroom teacher has first intervention during their group time.
The students who do not have reading intervention may go to math intervention, read a story with an assistant or practice math facts or word wall words with our lit fit teacher. The lit fit teacher has them be physically active while reviewing. Also our advanced students are given challenging practice to do independently.

The time is set up so that both grade level teachers have it at the same time so the groups of students can be rearranged.
cabernet is online now   Reply With Quote