Help

School Mental Health

Zones of Regulation

>

cardnialteach

Zones of Regulation
Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In your experience, have you heard of this curriculum? Our special education cooperative is wanting us to use Zones of Regualtion in a 2nd grade room that is a mess right now. ( Not the teacher, just all the needs and disabilities.) I tried to look up information but can't find much unless I purchase the curriculum. I don't like to purchase something without knowing much about it.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Zones of Regulation
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have heard of it! I want more info too because I know we have issues with kiddos at the elementary school (I work at the high school). I'm thinking into the future and would like the children to have learned those skills before they get to me!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know a whole lot about it, either. I know there were a few schools who were starting to use and, but I don't know how it went. I haven't heard anything negative about it, at least...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
annieb_28

annieb_28

Old 11-13-2015, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Zones of Regulation with much success over the past few years. I have used it with students with ADHD, emotional/behavioral issues, and autism spectrum. We have some of the visuals posted throughout our school as well....I have used it more as a small group or 1:1 intervention for my most severe/intense students however I wanted to get into a classroom to co-teach the lessons/skills/strategies this year but my schedule does not allow it.....

It explicitly teaches students: 4 different zones that all emotional/feeling fit into.
Expected and unexpected behaviors
how our behaviors makes others feel and how it affects how they feel about us (others may be uncomfortable around me because I threw my book when I was mad and that was unexpected - if they are uncomfortable around me they might not want to play with me or be my partner) etc
gives them a "toolbox" of strategies that students can try out and pick from so that they have the power to change their zone (if they are frustrated in the yellow zone, I can push on a wall to calm my body down so I am back in the green zone)
teaches kids that emotions and feelings aren't bad - that we all get angry or mad but it is WHAT we do when we are angry/mad/etc
gives kids a common language
correlates VERY well with Inside Out movie so there are a ton of resources out there to tie in the movie and zones curriculum

I am currently using it with my 2nd/3rd grade kiddos....the book and CD are less than $50 I think and the CD includes everything you would want to print.....in black and white and color so it can be reproduced as much as needed....

Hope that helps!
good luck!
Ann

cardnialteach

Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the review and tips. Is there a special site I need to go to for the book? I will do some more checking on this now that things are slowing back down for me.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sage23

Zones
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am reading this book now, and I'm excited to use the lessons with two first graders. You can get the Zones of Regulation book at Socialthinking dot com for $44. You can find more information about Zones of Regulation through that site.
sage23 is offline   Reply With Quote