Help

School Mental Health

talking about your day

>

eeza

talking about your day
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was talking to my husband last night about my day. I had met with a student who had suicidal thoughts earlier this year and they were pretty intense. After he heard about my day, his comment was, "Wow, all I did was teach reading. You had to work with a kid who really wanted to kill himself!"

I guess I'm getting used to this being part of my job. When I look at it from his perspective though, my day does sound very intense. Yes, teaching reading is important, but this kid wanted to end his life!

When you share about your day, do you get a reaction like this?

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

cardnialteach

My day
Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only person I talk about my day with is my husband and it is very generic and this is not something we do on a regular basis. Usually he will ask about my day if I seem super upset, stressed, or angry. Otherwise we tend to leave work topics at work. Now some of my job pertains to our own children since they go to school in the district and schools I work in, so sometimes it spills over into the conversation, but only specific to how it effects them.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't talk very much about my day to dh, but he usually listens and is interested. He has no experience in education, and his only experience with kids has been our own It's been several years since I had a suicidal child, so my daily life doesn't involve a lot of life/crisis situations. It does involve some interesting mental health issues and various levels of disability, which he is somewhat interested in. He's more interested in things related to autism, since our son has ASD. He's also interested in therapy and how diagnoses are made.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote