Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Covid strikes again

>

nucleus

Covid strikes again
Old 11-20-2020, 04:40 PM

My brother's group home just called and said that because we just moved to Level 3 for Covid, he can't come to my house unless I keep him until we are out of level 3. This isn't feasible for us. He wouldn't do well here for that long. We can see where the world is at for Christmas.

So needless to say I will be on my own for Thanksgiving. I need to eat anyway, but I'm not making a turkey and all the trimmings for myself. I think I'll order out.

I'm not upset about this. I understand that this is a pandemic and things are different right now. Just sucks for sure.

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-20-2020, 04:47 PM

Sorry your plans fell through . I'm on my own too. I usually go to my home state, but it's about 20 hours away and I just couldn't do all of the risks with traveling, with numbers the way they are.

I am debating between ordering out or just doing store bought versions of only the Thanksgiving foods I actually like- basically, the carbs and sweets . Turkey is so boring anyway. Maybe mashed potatoes and gravy (I possibly have the taste of a child, but I actually think the pre-made stuff from Kroger tastes good), crescent rolls, apple pie with crumbly topping. Perhaps some chicken tenders or wings in place of Turkey. There's no one here to judge me!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-20-2020, 04:50 PM

Iím sorry, nucleus. Thatís how I feel: Iím not upset because so much is out of my control. Iím glad you and your brother are staying safe. I am, too.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 PM

I'm sorry you'll be alone- I hope you can zoom or Skype (is that still a thing?) or something some friends or family.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 PM

I have settled into the idea of no family for Thanksgiving and truthfully am preparing for the same for Christmas this year.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry you can't have your brother over for a while. You seem to have a good attitude about it though. I'm up and down about the holidays. We decided months ago we probably weren't getting together with family for the holidays. Some days I'm ok with that. Other days I'm so sad. Then there are the days I get so angry. Then there are the days I think of little things, like for the first time in years I can sit around and watch tv on Thanksgiving if I want.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-20-2020, 07:58 PM

I wish I could have all of you here for Thanksgiving! I'm not a huge Thanksgiving person, but this year's it's bothering me more. Probably because DS is out if the country and can't rush coming home as planned!

But I still have DH & DD.

I really truly wish I could invite you all!

Covid sucks!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Weíre having the same problem.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:04 PM

DD canít come home for Thanksgiving unless we keep her until the pandemic is over. I kept her for two months last summer, but I wasnít working then.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Thanksgiving
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 PM

It's just going to be the 3 of us this year. Just today, DH's family, where we usually go, decided to not having one big gathering, but each individual family. We weren't going regardless, but I'm relieved.
My son lives in Columbus which is in the highest level of covid. We're going to Zoom with him and his wife. I've already been so emotional about it and miss him. Hope I don't do that on Zoom.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-21-2020, 06:21 AM

My elderly mom can't be with us for Thanksgiving either due the level in our county. If she leaves her facility she has to self isolate for 2 weeks and there's no way she'd remember to stay in her apartment so that would add another level of stress for her to have them keep telling her to go back to her room Plus she's lost strength to walk so I doubt I could get even get her up my front steps.

I agree with you that I'm not upset, but sad that this is how things are now, again. Didn't have her here for Easter and I am sure she won't be here for Christmas.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-21-2020, 02:25 PM

It has to be so hard, but it sounds like you absolutely made the right decision. Being safe is the priority. Could you have dinner with a friend or relative on Zoom?

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote