2nd grade- departmentalizing..a good idea? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

2nd grade- departmentalizing..a good idea?

>

curiousG

2nd grade- departmentalizing..a good idea?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do ya'll think of the idea of departmentalizing in 2nd grade? A teacher and I were discussing this and we saw pros and cons but we feel that the pros overweigh it. Because we could both teach 2 subjects that we love and we could excel at those instead of teacher 4/5/ or 6 subjects just to get it all in and do the best we can. Does departmentalizing exist in 2nd in any of your schools? Any info would be great!

curiousG is offline   Reply With Quote

jmbear86

interesting idea
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that sounds interesting. My first instinct is that 2nd grade might be a little too young. I think it is most common in 3-5. I believe someone told me about research proving that below 3rd grade it is less effective. Although, you can find research to prove pretty much anything! I think it also depends on your population of students- do they need lots of stability and consistency?
jmbear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherTim

TeacherTim

Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've thought about it, but my main concern is the children switching back and forth remembering which teacher allows what. Every teaching style is different and some kids struggle adapting to that. The only area I would consider it, is Social Studies & Science ~ one teacher focus on one and the other on the other. Then allow switching for only that subject. It gives the child their main teacher and 1 "elective" teacher to adjust to. This way they are mainly with you and only with the other teacher for a period as they would with a pull out program.

I think it's best if the kids have one main teacher at such a young age.

jjwires

Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think departmentalizing at the elementary grade level is not a good idea. It is easier on the teacher because there is less planning, but some of these kids aren't developmentally ready for having different teachers.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I say no way! We tried it with 4th grade one year and it was a disaster they just weren't ready. 5th & 6th grade had done it for years and it was great. But I just can't imagine 2nd graders having enough responsibility. As for discipline, I think they are just way too young to keep the expectations right in their heads for each individual teachers. Why make them grow up faster than they have to---jr high will come soon enough?

connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not a fan
Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think second graders are too young for this. It would mean getting used to two different adult teaching philosophies and requirements, and the flexibility needed to do integrated teaching would potentially be lost. I wish it didn't exist anywhere in the elementary grades, to be honest.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

*I* wouldn't. I just think that second grade is too young.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

I vote no...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our 4th and 5th do it w/ ease. I have done it in 3rd grade and didn't like it. They are just sooooo young in AUG as it is. I couldn't imagine trying to get new second graders from place to place.
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

ccarlton

don't do it
Old 03-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught third last year at a different school than I am at now, and we tried departmentalizing, it wasn't good, the kids were to young and we lost too much transition time. When I taught fourth grade we also departmentalized, I had an awesome team and it worked very well. I think most people will tell you that departmentalizing in the primary grades is not a good idea.
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocolate1126

We do it in third
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had a 3/4 multiage last year and one teacher taught science, one taught writing, and I taught social studies. It was great for our students because they got the best of their teachers. Yes, we lost some time in transitions but we really stuck to the curriculum because we were forced to do it 3 days a week. You couldn't shove SS or Science to the side because you were too busy.

Our second grade is doing it this year and it seems to be working for them. One teacher teaches all math (one low, one high group) while the other teacher is teaching either SS or Science.

You will have to do what works best for your grade. Good luck!

Chocolate1126 is offline   Reply With Quote

read2kids

Trial Run?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There are 3 second grades at my school. I teach science to all 3 classes, while the other teachers cover the health and social studies curriculums. There are certainly pros and cons. I love that I can plan one lesson instead of 3. I think the students get better instruction when I can spend more time on one area. I agree with Chocolate 1126 in that those subjects are less likely to be pushed aside. I don't like switching 3 ways because I don't feel like I have enough time to get everything in (I see each class once a week). The year we switched 2 ways (twice a week) was much better. The teachers move at my grade level - not the students. This seems to save time, the students still have all their stuff and no one is messing in others' desks. I don't like the inability to integrate. It seems much harder to teach in a thematic way. I really don't know what they are doing in social studies.

Maybe you could try departmentalizing on a smaller scale and see how it works. Another pro is that I know all the second graders (90) which helps enormously on the playground. It also helps with the students that have their heart set on a specific teacher and don't end up in that homeroom. I can always say that I will see them for science.
read2kids is offline   Reply With Quote

sasha11

strong feelings
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have strong feelings about this issue. After teaching several grade levels and having 2 of my own kids go through the grade levels, I say NO,NO,NO! NOT in second grade...please, they are still a bit too young. IMHO (for what it's worth), Team teach (2 teachers) in third and fourth...3 in 5th.....Guides them gradually, when they are developmentally ready) into middle school...

But, in second grade...put me on the NO list.
sasha11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would think that 2nd graders would be much too young for this. The only way I think it could possibly work, is if the teachers were the ones switching classrooms and not the kids.
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. C

Limited departmentalizing?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't think that a full departmentalizing plan would work for 2nd grade. Like PP's, they are not developmentally ready. In our third grade, we switch for part of the second semester for science. Each of the three teachers has 2 science units and teaches it to the other classes. This has worked well and we feel appropriate for this age.

If you try it, maybe try it on a very small scale with one or two units of a subject the second part of the school year.
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeKM

We do it
Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

in 2nd grade....I love and the kids love it. It works out well for all involved...as far as I am concerned. The only con the first year we did it was conferences...but we have figured that out.
2ndGradeKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 03-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here is what we do... I teach science, one teaches social studies, one teaches grammar and writing, and one does reading skills. The reading skills are In addition to our regular reading time. The teachers rotate, not the kids. Each rotation is 20 min long. We feel like we are passing on a better second header because they all get the same thing. Plus we teach what we like so we do a better job. It forces me to get everything in. The hard part is that I only have 20 minutes so sometimes my science activities have to span a couple of days. We don't rotate on Fridays so that kids can catch up on missing work and we can spend more time retraching specific skills. This is our third year to do it.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

critical ingredients
Old 03-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You need to really know your team. You need to have similar styles and commitment. You will not like teaming if you have one irresponsible member and then your own students get an inferior experience. I team in second on a very limited basis with someone who shares my beliefs and dedication. We don't let one another down. I don't think I could team with most of our other second grade team.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

AppleOne

Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Two of our 2nd grade teachers departmentalize for math and reading but not in the traditional way. There classrooms are connected and they both have the same classroom rules.

Math The grouping changes according to the unit pretest they give their classes. One teacher does enrichment and the other teaches the given skills and concepts. The same teacher does not always take the enrichment class.

Reading One of the teachers takes the 3 higher reading levels and the other takes the 3 lower levels. They find they can meet the needs of the children. The children are moved as needed.

They also switch occasionally for science and social studies.
AppleOne is offline   Reply With Quote