Help

ARCHIVE

Father passed away(student's)

>

connorsmom020

Father passed away(student's)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This week one of my student's from last year's father passed away very unexpectedly. This is the 2nd one this year of students I had last year. The first was from a very affluent family in the community and everyone knew it happened and did something for the kiddos. As a staff, we even took up money to put into an education fund for the children. This is where I am so upset. The father died on Monday--our counselors sent out a note of how to handle grief with children on Friday and of course, didn't even tell who the kids were. I found out by reading it online. As teachers, shouldn't we treat any child in crisis the same? This family is your typical welfare family--parents engaged 12 years but not "married", and probably would waste money on frivolous things. But isn't their grief the same, I just feel like as a school we let these kids down. The dad was very supportive last year and his older child (whom I never had) stops by often to just say hi. I will do something for this family but there is no excuse for the school acting this way. Guess I just needed to vent. Thanks

connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bapa

Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't blame you. I'd be very upset if our school acted like that. I think every family needs the support of community, and especially those involved with the kids. They will need lots of TLC and understanding for a long time. Glad YOU have a heart of gold and will be there for them.
Bapa is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

I understand your hurt
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also had a student's father pass away this year and it was difficult because I had all 3 children and we knew it was a matter of time. I too was so upset at some of the things the school did, or I should say did not do. They did send a flower on the school's behalf, but I believe that only happened b/c the secretary is the sweetest woman and would always do something like that. I, as the classroom teacher, tried to do other things to show support. My class put together cards and a fun basket of things. After weeks of no support from school, I took it upon myself to organize a collection for the family and I could not believe how many people did not contribute. I know times are tough, but a couple dollars, being we are such a large school could have went so far. What upset me more is that the mother is very involved in the PTA and is in charge of Teacher Appreciation week, she makes sure our communitiy gives us so much during that week and I was upset that our staff and faculty couldn't give anything back... even a card would have been thoughtful.

I was there for the kids and the mom. They know that, I showed it and in the end I was happy knowing that I did my part.
imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I mailed a check tonight and offered my prayers. I hope some others step up if they realize what is going on. Guess there are a few ones of us left that care. God bless you!
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote