Help

Second Grade

another enVisions question

>

Zee

another enVisions question
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who have taught enVisions Math do you feel that skipping around to different units/topics is okay?

I know when I taught Everyday Math, it wasn't possibly to skip around because of how the program was set up.

Here's why I am asking...We have 2 things in my district that we are required to use for math (and then can supplement too). One component is a daily review program (6-10 questions each day). The long range plans given to us for enVisions (new for us this year) indicate going in order through the topics. However, in the daily review program, addition with carrying comes up long before we would get to it in enVisions. I am wanting to skip to the unit/topic that teaches addition with carrying so that the daily review problems do not become a struggle and the students understand why they are solving the problem the way they are.

I am just wondering (from people who have taught enVisions before) if skipping around to the different units/topics is a problem or if you recommend going in order regardless.

Hopefully this makes sense and thanks for any advice or suggestions you have.

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowlab

Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

our district started with topic 16 first last year and then went in order. Some questions on the test the students need to know prior knowledge but for the most part it was fine. The extra knowledge would be needed for the quarterly tests.
yellowlab is offline   Reply With Quote

thebeach16

Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with yellowlab's statement about the tests. When I was in second grade it was the first year we used envisions and we skipped money because we thought it was too early and went back to it later. The following year they followed the units in order. You really don't run into many problems with work mats. The place I found you did run into problems was on the daily review sheets and homeworks - and it sounds like that is what you will use the most. Make your life easier (and free of freaking out parents!) and go in order. The following year when we went in order there were no issues.
thebeach16 is offline   Reply With Quote

BPS

EnVision math order
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We took it in order last year purely because we got the materails about 2 days before school started. We are going mostly in the same order this year but will skip some of the lessons that were a little abstract or did not correlate to the NC standard course of study. I agree that money was a little soon in the year so we are pushing it back some and trying to build preior knowledge through calendar time before diving into that topic.
The issue for us this year is that the budget did not have room for us to purchase the consumable books this year...bummer because we really liked them. We are going to base our lessons along with the topics, show the learning animations, and use the resources, but use various resources for independent practice. New year...new challenges
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgracorn

In order
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I went in order last year because it was my first year. I'm going in order this year but I plan to skip some lessons and use other sources to cover some skills better, especially in first two topics.

2ndgracorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 08-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try teaching the topics in order based on the long range plans given to us and then maybe next year I will change things up if needed.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

katsmeowsd

Out of Order
Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know what grade you teach, but I taught 3rd grade and I used it all the way through the first year but the sequence seemed disconnected to me. The second year I started with geometry, it's short and easy (in 3rd grade) we made shape books, read "The Greedy Triangle" by Marylin Burns in the first few days of school. Then I went to unit 1 and pretty much moved forward but I put all the multiplication units together, all the division together, etc.
katsmeowsd is offline   Reply With Quote