Help

Second Grade

finishing work and chatting

>

ar719

finishing work and chatting
Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been in school a few weeks. Two problems I'm working on: 6 kids that aren't finishing work and too much chatting/inattention. I need to tighten up. What do others do with these problems? Send work home? Stay in at recess? I have one guy who probably has not completed anything and he is a fairly fluent reader, so I'm guessing it isn't because of reading/intellect. Help!

ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rah2010

Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are allowed to take away recess (we aren't at my school), I would have them complete any incomplete work during recess. I would also send it home as homework on top of the already assigned homework. Inform their parents, maybe they can be of assistance by talking to their child about complete work in school. Hope this helps.
Rah2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I posted above about trying a timer for students not finishing work. I find this motivates most students. I use an online sand timer and it works as a great visual for everyone.

For those who spent their time daydreaming or chatting, then they either complete it at recess or at home (it just depends on the day).
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

jlskinner3

Clipboards!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If students don't finish their work before recess (ours is in the afternoon), they take it outside to finish at recess on a clipboard. It is amazing how fast students get those 6 journal sentences written when they are outside using a clipboard watching their friends play.
I use something called a quick write journal. The students each have one, they keep it for about 2-3 weeks. They write in it when they have spare time. If they get it complete by the allotted time, they get a reward. I know which students are capable of more so they are required to write more.
jlskinner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. H20

We send it home
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since we CANNOT take away any recess time in our district, I have to send the work home. The parents get pretty tired of their child coming home with extra work and they start to motivate them. I also use timers for kids who truly just cannot focus (not the kids who choose to chat instead of working). That seems to help. If it is a child who seems to be struggling to complete the work, I differentiate the assignments. Moving the child away from others during a quiet work time is also helpful. I usually move 1 or 2 students to my back table to work with me or with my TA, to restrict distractions. Good luck!

Mrs. H20 is offline   Reply With Quote