Help

First Grade

how long til normal?

>

vateach

how long til normal?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in first grade (used to be in second). I know to go slow and set up routines in the beginning and establish behavior expectations, but it is taking so much longer than my second graders! We are in our third week of school, and my kids came in today like they have never been in school. How long does it take to get to the point where you can start pulling small groups and they can work relatively independently?

vateach is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

Every group is different
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year's group were working on their own by now. But this year's group seem younger, more needy, and each day feels like the first day of school. I wish I had an answer for you, but I am here asking the same question!
texasteacher6 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

With first graders, I have found it will take up to a couple months for them to get used to the routines. It also will be very important to come back to the expectations all year long.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Buffettfan1

Me too!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh my goodness! Yesterday I came home saying, I don't like teaching first grade! I wanted to stamp my foot and have a tantrum. lol. I have taught special ed., upper elementary, middle and even a bit of High School, I have never worked as hard as I am right now in first grade. After a weekend, they seemed to forget everything! I keep hearing September is rough, just hang on....I'm clutching on by my fingers and toes right now. I have a dear sweet group of kids (for the most part) but they can't work on their own for more than 3 mins. Just enough for me to call 2-3 kids over to sit down with and then the rest of the class needs me. sigh...10 more days of September!
Buffettfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

my first principal
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

who was a wise woman and had taught first grade for years had this to share my first year.
"It takes 4 weeks to change them from kindergartners into first graders-6 weeks if it is a tough group."
I remember that every fall when I'm taking a nap at 4pm because I am exhausted the first weeks of school. I am big on procedures!!! Not lining up--EVERYONE goes back and sits down then we try it again. It takes time but it pays off in the end.

Unfortunately I have been out of school with a concussion and am wondering how they will be when I return. Two subs have already made comments on a couple of off the wall students. Hang in! No other grade advances as much as first grade.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
"It takes 4 weeks to change them from kindergartners into first graders-6 weeks if it is a tough group."
I agree. The end of last week, our 5th, was wonderful.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

swede2004

Whew!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been wondering the same thing! While I really enjoy teaching my kiddos, I find it frustrating at times I feel I can't get through a lesson without students becoming distracted, not lining up quietly. It is so nice to know I am not the only one who is feeling frustration!! I keep telling myself that being consistent and trying to be patient will go a long way.
swede2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Normal?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's the middle of week 3 and the honeymoon is over. I have gone over procedures every single day. You would not have known it today. 13 out of 19 students had problems. Our administration wants to rush into curriculum, but the behaviors have got to get under control before real learning can occur. We are working on building stamina, focus and independence. Tomorrow is another day and we'll start all over.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the replies...I will try to keep repeating that it takes time to turn them into first graders.
vateach is offline   Reply With Quote