Help

Daily 5

Child won't write during practice

>

DrSeuss08

Child won't write during practice
Old 09-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have launched Working on writing last week and are up to 8 minutes today. The children were furiously working on their writing and doing a great job. Some of them didn't even get finished. We talked about things we could write about and then I gave them a sticker for a story to write about since some of them need a prompt (these are 1st and 2nd graders).However, one child just sits there. He is fully capable of writing, but he does one or 2 words and then quits and sits there and stares at me lol. He loves reading by himself and can read VERY well for a first grader, but he isn't quite getting writing down. How can I help him to build his writing stamina?

DrSeuss08 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My P told me to have kids write "I have nothing to say" over vas over during writing/journal time. She told me that they would get tired of it and start writing.

She was right. They do. I've had four students (all boys) over the years tell me they had nothing to write. Within a few days, they would start writing.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If he loves to read so much, I'd start by asking him write about books. He could re-tell something he recently read, or say what he would have done if he was "in the story".

If that doesn't work, I like the above idea to bore him into writing something.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Writing
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Had this very issue yesterday! I told the quite capable young boy he had WW in K and 1st, and both teachers taught him to generate ideas. So had I. So I said, "we are not having this conversation again. I know you can write something. I expect you to do it."

We'll see how that plays out today.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dianemcq

Lists Journal
Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have about a dozen composition books turned journals that each have a theme. Any student can choose a class journal to write in if they wish.

I had a student (excellent creative writer!) who would refuse to write, so I made one journal just for lists. Students have to be specific with their list topic such as "movies I'd like to see" or "toys I'd like for Christmas" or "places I want to visit". They find it pretty easy to just number a list and brainstorm. It works to get a student started but is not, of course, a long term solution.

dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Last Ditch...
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If all else fails, I have told kids that they are welcome to write with me during recess. That gives them more time to think about their writing and time to write their ideas down!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've had really good luck with labeling drawings with reluctant writers. After they're good at labeling the pictures, I ask them to transition into using the words they labeled in sentences. Eventually the reluctance goes away and they enjoy writing more!
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

DrSeuss08

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all the ideas. I used the "I have nothing to say" idea today and one kid started writing it (but only once...progress I guess). My child who doesn't want to write started writing things around the room that he saw. i didn't even think about telling him that, but he got the idea, so I went with it. At least he was writing something, even if was just copying things down.
I love the labeling idea. I may have to try that. I think he would enjoy that a lot.
DrSeuss08 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 09-05-2014, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You may have to monitor the "nothing to say" during writing time so that s/he gets the idea that writing (like reading) the whole time is required.

trishg1

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You may have to monitor the "nothing to say" during writing time so that s/he gets the idea that writing (like reading) the whole time is required.

What I like about it is that it removes all ability to avoid writing. If only that worked with diet and exercise.

cabernet

Been there
Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last year I had some second grade students who had trouble with writing the whole time. I had them practice using their idea book and using it to write during their recess a couple times. That solved the problem for awhile and them we had to practice again.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote