Third Grade

Child left class without permission

>

Misslan

Child left class without permission
Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How would you have handled this situation

I am in my first year as a teacher, my rule on bathroom breaks is go at recess at lunch. I only let them go if they have a medical note during class time.

Yesterday 5 minutes after lunch a girl asked to go to the bathroom, I said no she should have gone at lunch. 30 minutes later she came to my desk and asked again, I refused again, she then said I am going anyway and left them room.

Misslan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Welcome to PT, Missian
Old 07-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would change your bathroom policy. You are setting yourself and your students up for some problems with that policy. 3rd graders are impulsive and not likely to be able to plan that far ahead. How much can you really learn when you need to use the bathroom?

The child made a better choice here. Having an accident in class would have been embarrassing. She needed to go and went. Work on developing a policy that allows students to go when needed and interrupts instruction as little as possible. You can use a quiet signal and allow only 1 student out at a time. If you notice a child using the bathroom frequently then you meet with that child and limit their time.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

bathroom
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have several bathroom breaks throughout the day, because kids have small bladders and need to go (well, I have to go more than once myself! ).

Even so, if a child asked to go I would let her. If it becomes habitual, I'd talk to the parents to make sure there isn't a medical need that you're not aware of. Otherwise, the parents may let you know if she's using that to get out of class.

She did the right thing in going anyway before she had an embarrassing accident in class. She did ask you several times before she did it.

The first year is tough, but you're doing the right thing in getting advice and support here on PT. It has helped me tremendously through the years!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Change the bathroom policy..
Old 07-01-2017, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For all you know, a parent probably told her to go anyway.

Your rule would not fly at my DD elementary school or at mine. All you need is one kid urinating/crapping through everything Then have parent tear it up with district and or administration, totally by passing you. I did have a kid who would crap himself just for spite. He never did it to me because I always told him to go without asking. If he made it back in under 5 minutes, he got some sort of reward. The kid had issues. I taught art and wasn't about to clean up sh*tty kid, sh*tty floor and who knows what else.

The child would not be in trouble for wetting themselves, you'd be tossed under the bus for limiting bathroom breaks.

Your kids only have 1 break a day, (lunch recess) or is it recess (however many that is) and lunch recess?

I could see your rule flying at a high school setting. Even in middle school, the kids can leave for emergencies or during desk work time. One kid goes at a time.

There are lots of ways to control bathroom breaks that are unobtrusive, and doesn't lead to everyone leaving willy nilly.

I think you are setting yourself up for a dumpster fire worth of problems for really no good reason. When push comes to shove, you'll look like monster for not letting a kid relieve themselves, not the kid figuring out when to go. Third graders are still little knuckle heads, and don't always know what their bodies are doing.

Unless your administration is 100% behind this, and has your back when an accident happens, I'd seriously consider changing it.

Last edited by Tawaki; 07-01-2017 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I agree
Old 07-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Although I tell my students they shouldn't go at certain times, like during direct instruction or when I call the class to the rug, I always start with, "I won't say no, but if you could wait until after xyz, that would be better."

I allow them to go, one at a time, as needed, without asking. If I see they seem to be using the bathroom as an escape from work, I ask the parents if I need to be aware of any medical concerns.i always approach it from a concerned medical angle.

This, and pencils, are two of the thi game that seem to cause the most angst for elementary teachers! But i have found that the less controlling I am about the bathroom the more relaxed the kids are, and the less they need to go. Your student needed to disobey you- it was the smart thing to do.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

I agree
Old 07-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with PPs. I remind my students throughout the year, as to when to use the bathroom. My rule is that they may not go during direct instruction, but can while working (seat work, groups, partners etc.). There are always exceptions to every rule though. I have let students go during instruction if they are not feeling well or if it is a true emergency.

Also, there are some girls who start their period in 3rd grade. I haven't had many, but have had a few over the years.

Also, we have a clip chart system. If a student has an "emergency" and can't wait to use the bathroom (after we have had a bathroom break ) they may use it but need to clip down. This cuts down on kids faking it just to get out of the room. I have had many students dancing to get out of class, but when told they will need to clip down tell me they can wait.
TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovesecond

sign out
Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students sign out and then place the pass on their desks (i plugged in an old digital clock since so many had trouble telling time at the beginning of the year). They go as needed. The more relaxed, the more it helps those timid kids go when they need to without being afraid to ask. I pull those who abuse the privilege to the side and say that I noticed on the sign out chart that they are going so often. We come up with a general agreed upon frequency and I mention that if it continues, that I can talk with Mom. If need be, I do mention to parents, I have the sign out for back up, and parents usually are happy to talk to their kids.
I would be afraid of the crazy parent who might take the limited visits and use them against you, or share their opinions on those lovely parent group message boards.
In the end, those that don't use the bathroom wisely will have work to finish when others are having fun.
Based on many years of teaching, I offer these words to help you.

PS I go during lunch and often wish I could go again soon after! But we have to have large bladders as teachers!
ilovesecond is offline   Reply With Quote

Charmaine

Let her go...
Old 07-15-2017, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your student must have had to really go to the restroom. If she has an accident and you did not let her go, it could get ugly! In my class, they have a bathroom pass that they can turn in but sometimes they use it up so they go down the behavior chart for not having their pass or they can use their tickets and pay for to go - 2 tickets. Last year, I had a student ask me to go and she did not have her pass or tickets. I told her to go ahead and go. Her friends offered her tickets. She did not take their tickets. She did not want to move her name down on the chart. She chose to stay. Then she had an "accident". Her mom had a fit! Luckily, I told her to go. My class said I told her to go twice but she opted not to. The mom was going to go to the district office to complain but, because her daughter had options...she did not have anything to stand on.
Charmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Bathroom
Old 07-15-2017, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would have let her go.

I teach second grade. My own policy is you can always ask to go to the bathroom and I will always let you...but you may have to wait a couple minutes. This is in case other students are already out of the room, or maybe I'm in the middle of a lesson. They only have to wait a couple minutes. Plus, if a student asks more than once, they more than likely really have to go. It can cause serious health issues if they (or you) cannot go when you need to.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
This, and pencils, are two of the thi game that seem to cause the most angst for elementary teachers! But i have found that the less controlling I am about the bathroom the more relaxed the kids are, and the less they need to go. Your student needed to disobey you- it was the smart thing to do.
Yes! Yes! 1000x yes! There is absolutely no need for bathrooms or pencils to be an issue in the classroom. I do not see the need to create punishments for kids who need to use the bathroom, such as marking behavior charts, losing points, etc. There are much more important things that I spend my time on!

Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

The Great Bathroom Debate
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There are no right answers to this one. There are always the kids that will use this excuse into the ground, and those that are so shy they'd rather die than ask. I was the shy kid. Our longest class time without a break is 2 hours. First recess ends at 9:50, so at 10:50 (when big kids are still at break and my kids can't disrupt them by playing in the bathrooms) I take a 10 minute break. There are always the difficult kids to deal with (I make them wait until everyone is back) and if someone steps too far out of line then it is a note home to parents. I did have a parent jump me one time because I said no. I explained that I didn't remember (this was a good kid) which meant I was on overload for some reason. I explained to the parent that I had had an accident as a kid myself so I completely understood, but as a human sometimes I just missed it. The dad totally understood and left as an ally. Don't you sometimes wonder why, as teachers who are concerned about children learning, we are reduced to stressing about bathrooms and pencils? And, at my school, we have added when to leave for lunch, don't dare be late and don't dare be early!!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote