Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dog's eyes boogies

>

twin2

Dog's eyes boogies
Old 01-01-2018, 07:58 AM

My dog gets crusty drainage around her eyes. My daughter used to pick them off every day as she pet her and they weren't a problem. The dog is mine now and she won't let me mess with her eyes like that. I'm afraid her eyes will get sore. I have thought of different solutions to try, but would like to know what really works. I don't think doggy wipes are going to work because they are quite crusty. Her eyes look fine. I just need to get the junk off of her face under her eyes before they get infected.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Eye gunk
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Try a damp paper towel and stay on top of it once you get the top layer off.
Our dog gets eye boogies due to allergies. Itís way worse during harvest, because heís allergic to corn (crop dust). We finally started taking him for an allergy shot every November (when itís the worst), and keep eye ointment on hand. The eye ointment significantly decreases the eye gunk.
Keep touching/petting the dog near his/her eyes and face gently so he/she gets used to it and it will become easier for you to clean those eyes!

Our other dog, brother to the one I just described, has zero of these issues. So weird!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 AM

A trip to the vet sounds like it may be in order if the vet hasn't seen the dog about this issue. An examine will determine if it is conjunctivitis and prescribe an ointment, or determine if something else is the cause of the eye drainage.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

seashell

Doggy
Old 01-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Our dog has this problem too. Give her distilled water to drink and put angel eyes on her food. In the mean time use warm wash cloth to remove crusties . Baby it is cold outside
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 01-01-2018, 08:38 AM

Yes, I'm afraid she will need a vet visit if I don't get on top of this. We aren't quite there yet. The vet hasn't been concerned in the past, suggested an allergy. This is the worst it has ever been, probably because I haven't been persistent enough to clean her eyes.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 AM

A warm washcloth works fine. Talk to your vet and see if itís allergies.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 AM

My dog gets them really bad if she eats chicken product. And grain too, as well as allergies beginning of spring and then beginning of fall. But the main culprit has been chicken.
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM

When I got my dog, he had really brown, crusty discharge from his eyes. Even wiping, etc. didn't seem to make it all go away. Now, I give him a daily powder probiotic (not related to his eyes), but it made it so he never has that. Months later I read a review of the probiotic and it said it's great for keep eye discharge clear.

Now, as for the eye cleaning, it's hard to do without actually getting her really used to you touching her face. My dog is small so I put down a towel and put him on a higher surface...usually the table. I make a bowl of water (comfortable temp) and shampoo (sometimes a little conditioner, too) mix. Then I soak a cotton ball and wipe at his eyes. Now, this part will be really hard to do if she doesn't like her face touched. Then, I used a flea and tick comb to gently comb out the boogies and the hair on his face.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote