Help

The VENT

Beginning of the year

>

Teacherbee_4

Beginning of the year
Old 09-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Two random thoughts/vents/questions about the beginning of the year.

First, do you ever wish you kept a journal/diary of how you were feeling during these early parts of the year? Right now, I feel frustrated by a few behaviors of my class, but looking back, I think I had it to some extent last year, too. I don't remember if it was this bad, but I wish I had a record of if it was or not. Anyone else ever wonder that same thing? Or do you keep a journal and recognize that you feel some of the same things about your class/your classes behavior? I'm 11 years in and I think every year I wonder this. I always say I should write down how I'm feeling to read the next year at that time, but I never do. Maybe now's a time to start!

Second, how long do you think it takes to get the settled in their routines, automatically following expectations, etc.? Obviously, I know they will never be perfect, but I think we all know that at some point of the year, routines, procedures, expectations, etc. become automatic for kids. How long do you think this generally takes? How long do you think it takes if the previous year's teacher was VERY different from you?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

#2 Above
Old 09-03-2021, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When giving oral directions, use words like "first," "next," "after that," etc.

At the same time you say the word "first," put a #1 on the board and write the direction. Do the same for all directions needed for any activity.

I was not an auditory learner. I needed the visual in order to know what to do. I always appreciated the teachers who gave directions orally, used "first," "next," and at the same time, wrote directions on the board.

Also, do not repeat directions. Once you start repeating, it will just snowball, and every child will know they can count on you to repeat what he/she needs to do so why pay attention the first time. My response to "what am I suppose to do" was "look at the directions written on the board" or "ask a classmate." Once or twice I also said "I noticed you weren't paying attention when I gave directions. Next time, I expect you to improve. Now you will have to check the directions on the board or ask a find a friend who can help you."
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-03-2021, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Basically, PT is my diary . I often go back and read previous posts from different points in my career just because I think it's interesting to see how I felt about things at the time. I'm sure I'm the only weirdo who does that!

Also, sometimes I have a vague idea of something that I know worked with a challenging group several years ago, and I do a key word search to see if I can find a post where I explained it back then. For example, last year at the end of the year I had one group who just couldn't hang in there. I remembered a very specific plan I'd posted about for a similar group a few years prior. I did a keyword search and found the post, and it was easy to implement that same plan again.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-05-2021, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always figure it takes a good 3-6 weeks for them to settle into routines. But I'm in kindergarten. I think this year a lot of teachers are feeling the pain that the kinder teachers go through every year!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

It took me many yrs to remember
Old 09-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The 1st couple of months are hard.
I am retired.
A friend called me telling me how immature, inattentive, and slow her kids are this yr. I remember that feeling at the start every single year. I remember she has felt that way too for years. Within a couple of months, kids get into routines.
The thing is I think we all tend to remember how the kids acted and what they knew at the end of the school year.
Like if you teach 4th grade, you remember the end of the year with kids close to 5th grade.
At the start of the year, the 4th graders are more like 3rd graders.
I think about 1/2 way through the year the kids mature some and seem much better off academically too.
It will get better with time!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote