Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sewing machine recommendations, please

>

amiga13

Sewing machine recommendations, please
Old 10-05-2021, 04:57 AM

DD taught herself to sew on an inexpensive machine. She’s ready to move up. A friend of hers, who is a very good seamstress, recommended JoAnne’s Black Friday sale. (And I’m recommending sewing classes there, do they still do that?). What machine(s) do you recommend? Thanks.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-05-2021, 05:11 AM

I may have a bias toward Husqvarna Viking machines (I currently have 3). If the JoAnn’s has a Viking Sewing Gallery within the store that would be a place to purchase one. It runs independently from JoAnn’s so any JoAnn’s sales/ coupons can’t be used. But they do run great sales. They would of course include free sewing classes to get to know the machine and to troubleshoot. I am stopping by the place I purchased my machine from today and will take a peek at price ranges to give you an idea.

Everyone has their own personal preferences of course! I have just found Husqvarna’s to be a good brand for me.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-05-2021, 06:26 AM

I would look for a local sewing shop near her. Local shops are great for ongoing classes and service. They may be more expensive than Joann but worth it.

I bought a Babylock at my local shop and could go in for as many classes to learn about the machine as I wanted. I’m very happy with Babylock.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Sewing machines
Old 10-05-2021, 06:38 AM

I mostly use my sewing machine for my quilting addiction these days, so my needs are minimal.

I have 3 machines: a Bernina purchased in 1989, a Singer that my MIL owned and had purchased in the 1970s, and a portable Brother bought in 2018.

The Bernina is my favorite. It has been a workhorse and has never failed me. The Singer is just like my mother’s machine that I learned to sew on and also never gives me issues. The Brother is my least favorite- little room to maneuver my fingers in the needle area and always seems to have issues, yet my quilting instructor swears by them. My sewing machine serviceman recommended a Husquevarna-Viking serger that I’ve fallen in love with.

Every brand and model is different. I encourage your DD to try out different makes and models. My MIL advised me to do that back in 1989 when I bought my Bernina. Great piece of advice!

You definitely get what you pay for. Also consider your serviceman’s recommendations. With plastics being so prevalent in today’s machines, repairing isn’t always an option. When I was considering a serger, I asked my serviceman which brand he prefers to work on. He didn’t hesitate!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sewing machines
Old 10-05-2021, 07:21 AM

It really depends on what she’s going to use it for. Basic, light sewing, repairs, simple crafts. A Singer is good and Joann’s has decent sales.

I have a Kenmore that I bought off a teacher friend because “It was too much machine.” It has a lot of fancy stitches, feet, etc. it works really well for me. And this is something to keep in mind….how many of the fancy gadgets and attachments will she use?

If she plans on doing a lot of clothes sewing, I would recommend a baby lock or some type of serger.

She should try them out before buying.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 10-05-2021, 07:42 AM

I have a low level Pfaff (Ambition Essential) that I really like. I have had it maybe 5 years. I think I paid around $600. I got it from a local quilting store and it included lessons on it. I like that I can take it back to the quilt store for cleaning (and repairs- none so far!)
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

goazcats

Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM

I quilt/sew on a Babylock. I love it! I would suggest looking at your local sewing machine store. Ours takes trade-ins so good deals on slightly used machines. Our local shop has lots of lessons too.
goazcats is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-05-2021, 09:29 AM

I love, love, love my Juki DX7! I upgraded from my Brother basic machine last year, and I'm so happy with my Juki.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-05-2021, 04:35 PM

I checked at the sewing shop today. A nice starter Husqvarna would run around $900. I know that may seem like a lot, but some of the more advanced sewing/embroidery machines are over $10,000.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-05-2021, 05:18 PM

I wanted to teach myself how to use a sewing machine so I went to a local sewing shop and bought a Babylock Jubilant. The semi automatic threading,the ease of bobbin tasks and the ease of switching out the various feet sold me. I have a small blade area on the side to slice off the thread when done so I am not constantly grabbing a pair of scissors. There was plenty online to teach me as well. I am now looking for an easy basic embroidery only machine. Crafting can be a money pit but lots of fun!

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 10-06-2021, 04:14 AM

How exciting! I have Viking and a Babylock serger. There are several dependable brands to choose from. I agree it would be great for DD to test drive the machine before purchase. Due to the prices Catwoman mentioned of the highend machines, people trade in their currrent machine to apply credit toward their new purchase. These used machines are sold at a discount. The shop has serviced and checked them out and will usually offer classes for them as well. I bought one of my machines this way and it's my favorite machine. I have had it about 8 years with no problems at all. It has many features - automatic thread cutter, needle threader, needle down, auto lock/fix stitch. This machine cost me much less than it would have if I had bought it brand new. The shop will service the machine and the shops I have dealt with have been very helpful with any questions I've had. Bottom line - you can get more machine for your money this way.
That being said, for a new machine I would stick to the brands that have been suggested. Make sure that the shop backs their products with service and classes.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 AM

I have a Janome Magnolia that I like. It was one I bought at the local quilt shop. I didn't need anything fancy or with all the bells & whistles. The shop gives lessons, services machines, & sells fabric etc. I'd look around & do some comparison shopping.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote