Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I just deleted Facebook

>

suzyteach

I just deleted Facebook
Old 10-30-2021, 10:50 AM

I've been considering it for a month or so, and was delayed when whatever is happening here at PT began, especially when so many (including me) joined the PT group on Facebook.
But, I really can't deal with the crap Facebook has done, so I pulled the trigger today. I think it is right thing, but its a bummer.
I also feel a bit lost with PT posts decreasing so much, and the fear that it will disappear.
I love my PT family, and this has been quite a loss. Thank you all for everything. I will continue to check PT daily, but it isn't the same.

I guess I'll need to lean more into real life than my virtual world.

suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Fb
Old 10-30-2021, 11:15 AM

I understand your decision.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-30-2021, 11:24 AM

I respect you for your decision. Iím on the other side of the fence because I canít figure out how to behave ethically on all fronts. I pick my battles. Regarding Facebook, years ago I instructed my broker not to buy their stock (or Wells Fargo), but I continue to enjoy using FB.

Iím sad about PT, but I also love our new group on FB.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-30-2021, 11:34 AM

Iíve been tempted to pull the plug but itís a way connect to family who live in other regions of the country (love updates from nieces/nephews and pictures of them and their children) and to share shelter/rescue dogs and cats.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

facebook
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM

I get it. I've been tempted to do so also because of their unethical handling of posts and the algorhithm they set up. But like others, my friends are limited to just my family, and there is a niece and a nephew that are far flung. I also have specific groups that I belong to that aren't really social but more for genealogy information. And then there is one that is focused on a hobby of mine. All of them steer away from ugliness and they are really useful.

I also immediately delete and don't react to anything that is political because I don't want to open fb up to that. Apparently, if you react, especially with an "angry" icon, you'll get more of the same. Don't comment on them, don't react, and delete the post by going to the three dots on the right hand side of the post. It's helped a lot since doing that.

I did add proteacher again because I guess I really do care about the people on here. You all have opened up your lives on here and it would feel like cutting off a distant cousin that I like. That's not to be misinterpreted that you don't feel the same way! I'm sure you do. It just works for you to turn it off and I respect your decision.

There's an article in the Washington Post (paywall) that is about cutting facebook and where to go from there.

It is really despicable what Zuckerberg decided to do.

Perhaps PT will stay alive. I'm not leaving until the last gasp.

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

facebook
Old 10-30-2021, 11:54 AM

I get it. I've been tempted to do so also because of their unethical handling of posts and the algorhithm they set up. But like others, my friends are limited to just my family, and there is a niece and a nephew that are far flung. I also have specific groups that I belong to that aren't really social but more for genealogy information. And then there is one that is focused on a hobby of mine. All of them steer away from ugliness and they are really useful.

I also immediately delete and don't react to anything that is political because I don't want to open fb up to that. Apparently, if you react, especially with an "angry" icon, you'll get more of the same. Don't comment on them, don't react, and delete the post by going to the three dots on the right hand side of the post. It's helped a lot since doing that.

I did add proteacher again because I guess I really do care about the people on here. You all have opened up your lives on here and it would feel like cutting off a distant cousin that I like. That's not to be misinterpreted that you don't feel the same way! I'm sure you do. It just works for you to turn it off and I respect your decision.

There's an article in the Washington Post (paywall) that is about cutting facebook and where to go from there.

It is really despicable what Zuckerberg decided to do.

Perhaps PT will stay alive. I'm not leaving until the last gasp. It's a telenovela for me and I'm addicted.

PEPteach

Old 10-30-2021, 11:59 AM

I support and admire that! For me fb has become such a time waster. I really like it to see my friends' and family's posts, and I also really like the groups I'm in (mostly teaching related, faith-based, or hiking). But I waste so much time looking at things from people I'm no longer close to or reading ridiculous comments that I'm drawn to but annoyed by.

I always liked PT because it was fun and relaxing. I could easily read and comment on posts that interested me and then move on.

I"ll probably stay on fb, but I need to work on not being on it as much. I'm hoping PT will continue on here, too.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-30-2021, 12:17 PM

I never jumped on the FB bandwagon, until the PT group was formed. I made an account just for that.

Can someone explain to me what Zuckerburg (sp?)/FB is doing that is negative? I truly don't know.

TIA

Also~PT will still be here, as long as people keep posting here. Will it disappear at some point? Perhaps/probably, but I guess I don't understand why so many have stopped posting here when so many say they love it/miss it and hope it doesn't disappear? Why not post here until that does happen? Honest question. Not judging at all!!! Promise!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 10-30-2021, 12:32 PM

Yes, the hard part about the decision for me is keeping up with distant family, some hometown groups, and now the PT group on Facebook. I understand everyone who keeps their Facebook - it's pretty darn handy. No judging at all, I am just telling about my choice, why you won't see me on the PT group, and doing some public mourning here.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

eliza4one
Old 10-30-2021, 01:12 PM

I think people arenít posting because they canít access the site. I just got in because I finally searched ďproblems with ProTeacherĒ and got a link to the vent.
After I posted that my app and entering the home page manually no longer link to the site, a reply included a link to this page.
The house icon/home page no longer works for me.

Iím wondering if our founder has passed away or become too ill to manage the site.

I donít know how to navigate Reddit, not having ever joined.

I left Facebook years ago and likely wonít rejoin even at the risk of losing my ProTeacher friends after 12+ years. This makes me sad.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-30-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza4one
I don't understand why so many have stopped posting here when so many say they love it/miss it and hope it doesn't disappear?
Wow. I am so very tempted to repeat what others have said, but I’m so upset by this question that I’d better just speak for myself.

I loved the old PT. It was an important part of my daily ritual and I feel like many PTers (including you, eliza) are my friends. However:
*Sometimes I was uncomfortable without the oversight of a moderator.
*I can no longer get to PT on my iPhone.
*I can only get to the Lounge on my iPad, none of the other rooms I enjoyed.

I know others have had similar/worse problems.

I think many of us went to other platforms because we care about each other and want to remain connected—and we want to have fun.

Does that explain why I’ve stopped posting as much?
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 10-30-2021, 02:13 PM

If you don't care for Facebook, come join the Reddit Group - it's called KindredKonnections - link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KindredKonnections/

I will continue to post and check in here, but I like that there are alternatives so I don't lose connection with people I've known on here for years.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-30-2021, 04:32 PM

I missed the heavier posting here, too. I have trouble accessing specific boards on my phone, but I can access all the boards that were in my favorites on my computer using the heart (it won't give me a pull-down menu on my phone).

I don't know everything going on with FB and I don't use it, but I have posted some on AtoZ. The ads are super annoying, though. The Reddit board appears pretty active, although the interface takes some getting used to. I'm happy to see some are still here on PT and posting!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 10-30-2021, 04:48 PM

I make Facebook work for me, itís under my control. Iím on some amazing kindergarten groups and I get great ideas. I feel like our little PT corner isnít like Facebook, itís just like PT but in someways a lot easier.

I plan to keep coming back here though! Iím still hoping somebody will somehow rescue it. And then update it to make it more user-friendly!
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Facebook problem--Gracekrispy
Old 10-30-2021, 05:06 PM

Oops, and Eliza,

This is a difficult post to write because I absolutely don't want to turn this into a political discussion. I think it might be best if you did the research on what's been alleged so that we can leave this politically inactive. I had written a whole explanation about the pathways that it has created based on interest, good or bad, true or false, but I kept hearing voices inside my head telling me "this is going to be contested" and "that is going to sound like I'm putting political comment in." So while I love the question about what is going on with FB, I just don't want to get into it here. I'm so sorry I can't answer your question.

But it's been fascinating to see what the whistleblower has alleged and the reaction by Zuckerburg. It has helped me in understanding what the company may be up to, and I don't like it. But it has also helped me figure out how to safeguard myself.

Last edited by timeforbed; 10-30-2021 at 07:09 PM..

eliza4one

Old 10-30-2021, 05:12 PM

amiga~I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone on this forum. Not my intent at all. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I also apologize that I did not pick up on what others were saying. I will admit to skimming through the posts and replying (probably) too soon.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-30-2021, 05:20 PM

I was not able to get on PT for over a week and still can’t access the homepage.

I decided to try and Google “Proteacher Teacher’s Lounge” and can get in that way. I just Google any board I want to visit.

But, honestly I don’t see myself posting her for much longer.

I have Facebook but don’t use it much. I prefer Instagram if I’m going to use any social media.

Eliza4One: Your post was not at all offensive. You were asking an innocent question and just trying to discern where everybody is at with posting.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 10-30-2021, 05:21 PM

As for the ads on A to Z, I use an ad blocker on my phone and see zero ads.

Some sites discourage it, and I understand why, but it's definitely effective.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Face Book
Old 10-30-2021, 05:32 PM

I have face book but never post, although I sometimes want to answer in one of the groups I belong to. I just read and hide relatives and friends who post offensive ( to me ) things. I did join the PT reddit group and like that we can use our PT names and remain anonymous. I am learning to use reddit and think I'll get better with time
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-30-2021, 05:36 PM

Thanks timeforbed-- that jogged my memory. I did read something about that when it first happened, but my mind has been full of other things and I didn't pay as much attention as I could have. I'll be revisiting that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 10-30-2021, 06:50 PM

I never post on Facebook. Reddit is fun but I do see more posts on the Facebook group. I don't care for the disagreements I've seen on Proteacher but love this site. More real-life involvements wouldn't hurt me, but I hope we can all keep in touch with one of the sites.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 AM

I foster dogs and all communication is done through fb. I've also thought about deleting. I'm not sure how my foster group could communicate. Also, my husband has a family history group set up that's enjoyable. I don't ever get any political ads/posts, just ads for pet stuff and jewellery!
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-31-2021, 05:17 AM

I certainly understand the impulse to chuck Facebook. I think it has done incalculable damage to our society in a variety of ways.

For me, though, it's a valuable tool for staying in touch with people whom I value but with whom I don't have a close enough relationship to stay in touch IRL: former students, former coworkers, old friends of my daughter's. I also find it a convenient way to stay informed about Native and environmental issues. Even though I have strong political views, I had already realized that there's a lot of political content on FB ON BOTH SIDES that promotes misinformation and is designed to ramp up anger. I avoid posts and people who share posts that slam whole groups of people or use insulting or inflammatory language.

As for decreasing activity on PT, as others have said, it's harder to access. Some people have reported concerns about malware when accessing PT on their phones, so I don't do that at all. I have fairly heavy-duty protection on my laptop, so I'm not afraid to access PT that way but I can only do it when I have access to my personal laptop.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote