Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I hope I did the right thing

>

jazzer

I hope I did the right thing
Old 11-12-2021, 08:36 AM

i am glad to see a few more people posting here the last few days. The story is that my husband and I were cast in this staged reading of a Christmas Carol. I had originally wanted to audition for it when the auditions were originally scheduled in mid October but felt burned out and didnít feel like dragging myself to the audition.

I regretted it but moved on. A week ago there was an urgent post on facebook from the head of the group saying they desperately needed 2 to 3 people for the show. The auditions were October 11th and 12th and this note came on November 3rd. I messaged the head and told him that my husband and I would be interested and would be willing to do a quick reading on zoom.

The next day we get an email from the director who is a different person from the head of the group. He sent out a group email to 9 people who expressed interest and asked for conflicts so he could put together a rehearsal schedule. The whole thing read as if they were starting all over again entirely which was odd. If the play had been cast and was just short a couple of people, there would have already been a rehearsal schedule and it would have been sent to us to check for conflicts. My husband thought it might be a red flag that three weeks after the original audition they were short that many people and seemed to be starting all over again as if several people had quit.

We audition and were cast though we found out much later than we were told so my husband booked a Santa gig on one of the performance days thinking we were not chosen.

The directorís welcome email included a rant about how he would not tolerate any racial discrimination of any kind and anyone who so much as said something that could be construed wrong would be booted out with no warning. He went on to say something along the lines of how he was the boss and if he told an actor to do something they had better do it unless they had a really good reason not to like it was dangerous.

The whole tone seem dictator like and really gave my husband and I a bad impression. I always learned that when first meeting a group you are in charge of, to go into it assuming that everyone will behave and be respectful then handle it when someone is not.

The rehearsal schedule is insane 9 hours a day on weekends. This is only a staged reading where you donít have to memorize lines. Way too many rehearsals. He said there would be a lot of notes to take and he would give everyone an extra 50 page dramaturge about the show that is not homework.

We had to email him and the stage manager back to say if we accepted the part or not. I decided not to take the part and hope that no one in the group would think bad of me, I basically told them I has a last minute schedule change that conflicted with the show. I wanted to do more shows with the group in the future and am slated to help on one in the winter so i donít want to ruin my relationship with them. I hope I did the right thing.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 11-12-2021, 08:43 AM

I think you dodged a bullet. The director sounds very controlling. Yes, you did the right thing.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-12-2021, 09:15 AM

Unless it was a very highly paid gig, I think you definitely did the right thing. The director sounds loony to me.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-12-2021, 09:32 AM

I think you made a good decisionótoo many red flags!
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Christmas carol
Old 11-12-2021, 09:40 AM

You did the right thing. I have a friend who directs performances like this and no way would she require what this asshat wants.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-12-2021, 11:03 AM

I think you did the right thing. The whole things a little sketchy....like I know my DD's performance of Sweeney Todd needed a few extra men for the ensemble because two men dropped out (due to medical reasons for themselves or their spouses) so I know things happen. But at that point they had rehearsal schedule set so wouldn't be asking for conflicts. Then to need so many people as if several had quit? And to be informed of roles much later than expected? Then the director's behavior. You don't need that kinda headache in your life.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-12-2021, 03:44 PM

I agree- there were a lot of red flags! I hope it doesn't impact any of your future work, but I would expect you to be fine.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Ominous
Old 11-12-2021, 07:47 PM

While reading through your post I started thinking it didn't sound like a comfortable working atmosphere. The director's "welcome message" seemed more like an ominous warning of things to expect. (I wonder if that's why they are seeking 'last minute' cast additions?) At any rate, I was glad to read you decided not to take the roles since it sounded too restrictive on several levels. I, too, hope you'll still be able to work with the group in the future. Good luck!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-13-2021, 05:27 AM

I think you for sure you did the right thing. I have no experience with theater but his email sure sends up red flags. Who wants to spend their time working with someone like him? No wonder he has so many openings.

Last edited by Violets2; 11-13-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-13-2021, 05:46 AM

Yes, I think I would have done the same thing. It sounds like the director has had issues before with cast members dropping out, or he just doesn't know how to lead in an effective manner.

all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 11-13-2021, 09:57 AM

It sounds like you absolutely did the right thing. Imagine the stress I'd that's what the director was already like before you even got started.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-13-2021, 07:12 PM

That was a run don't walk performance. You & DH were smart to read the room and not take on such a production.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm guessing
Old 11-28-2021, 03:40 PM

that others discovered conflicts in scheduling after that initial email.

What was the response to your need to withdraw?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 11-28-2021, 05:32 PM

He never responded. I was just taken off the email list that my husband was still on because he never officially declined his role due to the director not answering some questions.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote