Help

Retired Teachers

feelings

>

Idaho4me

feelings
Old 11-13-2021, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you deal with being told ¨˙ou might be retiring next year, your opinion does not matter?¨ Not being considered to have a student teacher? (Yes they are a lot of work, but why are they being assigned to new teachers? Wouldn´t it make sense to put someone in my grade if I am leaving?) Being asked to head programs but being told that I will not get a stipend as the money needs to go to others? This is probably my last year but I am not sure how to deal with all the feelings that are being brought up. Words of wisdom? I know it is silly in the scheme of things, but it does hurt.

Idaho4me is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Your feelings matter!
Old 11-13-2021, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the way you're being treated stinks! If you are retiring, I would start pulling back on things and just enjoy your lasts. How is it logical that you're asked for your experience and expertise to head programs but not be compensated? Maybe you shouldn't get a paycheck either. That makes about the same sense. My words of wisdom...head up, do what brings you joy, love on your students, enjoy being with your true teacher friends, and ignore the rest. They're probably jealous so give them a big smile when they are spewing their nonsense. One more piece of advice, treasure those little love notes and pictures your students give you...those will be missed.

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 11-13-2021, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't imagine how awful you feel about these comments. How inconsiderate of people to make them!!

When I decided to retire, I did not hold back on comments I made if something inconsiderate was said to me...actually, I often did this even before I decided to retire. I think you should feel free to do the same.

Think of a simple reply that expresses your feelings. Let those inconsiderate people know how you feel about what is being said or done to you. Perhaps if you do, they will think twice about saying or doing it to the next person who retires or reconsider their position on the subject right now.

You have to speak up for yourself. If you do, the hurt goes away a lot faster.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Insensitive Treatment
Old 11-13-2021, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First of all, if you have not announced plans to retire, I do not get holding you and your students back from leadership opportunities purely on speculation. And even if you were retiring, I fail to see why that should stop you from taking on a student teacher. As for withholding a stipend, if it was paid in the past and you do the work, how can they withhold it now from you!? I would not take on the work under those conditions. My last administrator had a favorite at the grade level, and that woman was always showcased and given opportunities that I never was. When I asked, she always had excuses. I finally stopped trying, but I felt badly for my students. Your feelings are justified.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Idaho4me

Thank you all!
Old 11-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Seven more months. I can do this.

Idaho4me is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Old 11-15-2021, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That kind of stuff happened to me for a couple of years before I retired. I was overlooked for committees, passed over for other things, my suggestions ignored, and just made to feel as if they were waiting with baited breath for me to retire. They were doing it to a whole group of us who were planning to retire at the same time.

So I did! And while it hurt my feelings before, it sure didn't when I made my decision! I couldn't wait to leave and neither could the gals that were retiring at the same time.

Enjoy the kids and all the special things that go on during a school year and if you feel you can, have some give away days! My students LOVED that and it made me happy to make them happy!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 11-15-2021, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This happened to all of the teachers who retired when I retired. We were dismissed while the newbies hovered around our rooms asking for our castaways. It's simply the way things go. Out with the old and in with the new. Don't take it personally, no one understands until they are retiring. Focus on the great years of retirement ahead.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

So sad
Old 11-16-2021, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

to read your post - I'm sorry for these thoughtless comments.

After I gave notice I began to see small reactions in a couple of teammates when I would say "we" while talking about school and education issues. I guess I was supposed to say "you". One Little Miss New School who had all the answers - until she didn't - even mentioned it. I always viewed teaching as a committed career instead of a job, with lasting repercussions in the community.
Having said that it doesn't exclude decisions made at the admin level. Those are very hurtful.

These are the people who won't be missed when you retire.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So sorry you feel this way when you still have so much to offer especially with mentoring a student teacher. Congratulations on your possible retirement. Hopefully this board will still be here then!
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Happy to see posts on this board
Old 11-17-2021, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been mainly checking the Lounge board since the troubles began. I will check in here more frequently as long as we can. This is one board I will really miss if PT goes away!

WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-20-2021, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am so sorry you're being treated like that and it's not silly at all. What's being said to you is very rude and unprofessional. This is my last year but I didn't get it confirmed until this summer so I haven't had those types of comments. I do have a pre student teacher who will continue with her student teaching in my room for Jan-May. My admin was thrilled I took her on and told me I'd make a great mentor. Made me feel great.

I wouldn't head up any programs then if you're not getting paid. Doesn't sound like you have a union so probably nothing to do except step back, and enjoy teaching without the added stress . You have value so maybe put that bit of energy into your classroom. With it still being covid, my room isn't being run like I used to but it's ok. I'm spending my time, now cleaning out files and cabinets and it feels great I know I'll miss certain parts of this job but more parts of it I won't! I just keep thinking....next year I won't have to .......
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 11-20-2021, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with Violet2's whole post. The kind of comments and behaviors described by Idaho4me doesn't happen at my school. People are happy when someone retires and, sigh, wish they could do it now.

What does happen, and bugs me, is people ask when you're retiring. It's usually done while in a group so nobody feels targeted. But it's a tacky and self serving question. Mostly I think people are trying to figure out staffing (if a position will be opening up) and room assignments.

Idaho4me, I hope you're doing fine.
Congratulations to you and Violet2 on your retirement!
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-20-2021, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks KetchupChips. I've actually had people asking me when I'm retiring for a few years--some just curious, 1 wants my room like that's even my decision! I've been cagey about it but am not this year and all are happy and wish they could go too. Even my admin, said "what are they going to do to you if you don't do the required PD? " Her attitude was don't do it but of course I will. I said to her, what would you do if I don't submit goals??
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 11-25-2021, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is a shame you're being treated that way. I chose to announce my retirement as late as possible so I wasn't treated differently. No one needed to know my plans.

I retired on January 1st, and informed my principal and central office on November 1st.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote