Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Electric toothbrush

>

PEPteach

Electric toothbrush
Old 11-25-2021, 06:22 AM

My dentist is encouraging me to buy an electric toothbrush. I've tried them in the past, but I prefer a normal toothbrush. But I have a lot of dental issues, so perhaps I should use one anyways.

She recommended Phillips Sonicare. There's a deal right now - normally $150, not $90. That sounds like a deal, but still extremely expensive! There are definitely cheaper ones on the market. Do you think it's worth it to buy that expensive of a toothbrush?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 AM

This is the one I have. I don’t need that fancy one you like. It’s great and has worked for years (I just replace the heads occasionally). I definitely think it helps—and so does my hygienist.
https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Son...7D6RDKB7&psc=1
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 AM

I have a lower level Sonicare toothbrush. My dentist recommended an electric toothbrush years ago but said it didn’t matter which one, as long as I used it.
I buy off brand replacement heads on Amazon.

I have this one:
https://www.target.com/p/philips-son...h/-/A-52560446

(We were posting simultaneously but the one I posted is the same one Amiga posted and it’s much cheaper at Target right now!)
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-25-2021, 06:38 AM

Wow, Lilbitkm, that’s a great deal! And I agree about the heads—I buy off-brand, too.

Song of Joy

Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 AM

We tried the battery operated toothbrushes for a while, but nothing compares to a Sonicare. The dental hygienist hardly has anything to do when I get my teeth cleaned now. I wish we had switched years and years ago

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-25-2021, 09:36 AM

I just have the cheapest sonicare. It was about $25 last year on Amazon when I bought it to replace my old sonicare. I do buy the genuine replacement brushes because the cheap ones tend to ride up and not stay on as well.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-25-2021, 04:22 PM

I use this one. On my second one and bought one for DS. It comes with 8 heads. Just don't leave it on the charger all the time. I charge it once a week or so.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072YVWBXH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-25-2021, 04:59 PM

I don’t mean to be disagreeable, but you need to know that we don’t all have the same experiences.
*I use the cheap replacement heads and they’ve never been loose or fallen off.
*I leave my SonicCare on the charger 24/7 and have never had a problem.

PEPteach

Old 11-25-2021, 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the opinions! Well now the one I had the link to apparently had a very short black Friday deal and is now full price, so I won't be paying for that one! I think I'll keep an eye on the prices over the next few weeks and will buy when I see one with good reviews at a decent price. I'd love to stick with the Philips Sonicare since it seems like you have all had good experiences and that's what my dentist recommends. And yes, like anything, people can have different experiences with the same product.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-25-2021, 06:59 PM

My dentist said not to spend money on high end ones. I have the battery operated oral B and as long as I change the brush head regularly, it works really well for less than $10

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Old 11-25-2021, 07:13 PM

DH and I both have Phillips Sonicare toothbrushes along with a waterpik. They are well worth the money. We both used to have a lot of issues with our gums that we no longer have. We do have the really expensive sonicare that connects to an app on the phone. We considered it an investment. We used to have the Oral-B ones, but the Sonicare does so much better!
sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-26-2021, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I leave my SonicCare on the charger 24/7 and have never had a problem.
In my situation I didn't have a problem either doing this while I was home. Then I took it for a week to visit my mom and forgot my charger. No big deal I figured, it will last several days, then I will just use it as a manual. It lasted about 5 days I think.

When I got home to recharge it, it would no longer hold a charge. Oh well! I'd had it a couple years and it was only $35( and includes 8 heads!), so I just bought a new one.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-26-2021, 06:23 AM

I agree with the other comments that have been posted. My Sonicare isn't the cheapest one, but it's far from the top-of-the-line model and it works fine.

There's an adjustment period with these toothbrushes, and it isn't very comfortable at first if you've been using a normal toothbrush all your life. After a couple weeks, if your experiences are like mine, you won't want to go back.

It's interesting to read annie_g's and amiga13's experiences with the brush heads. I once owned the cheapest Sonicare and it was fine, but it doesn't (unless things have changed) use the same brush heads as the other models. I'm really not sure why the company didn't design it to use the same snap-on heads. It is possible that off-brand replacement heads for the better models are superior to those for the most inexpensive one.

One additional observation: The brush heads last for a long time, but after a while, they don't clean as well. I use the basic one (there are other choices), and when the dark blue color starts to fade, it's time to replace it.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-26-2021, 09:21 PM

I buy the cheap drugstore battery operated spin brushes. I can tell such a huge difference between that and using a plain old toothbrush. Any dentist I've been to has raved about how clean my teeth are, made numerous comments about how there is nothing to clean off, etc.

I have anxiety about going to the dentist so I really try to take care of my teeth! I am embarrassed to say exactly how long it was between visits last time, but let me just say it was an extremely long time. To the point where I was embarrassed about how long it had been, so I didn't go, and then got into that vicious cycle.

I finally made an appointment last spring and the dentist told me my teeth were cleaner than some of his patients who come in every 6 months. He and the hygienist couldn't stop talking about it. They asked me what I used and I told them it was just a drugstore spinbrush, plus floss and mouthwash. He told me there's really no difference between that and the high end brands. I'd certainly try the cheaper version and see how it works for you before spending $150!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote