Help

First Grade

guided reading activities

>

Kaylen

guided reading activities
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have a format you follow every day with each guided reading group? For example, quick read of familiar book, book introduction/discussion, word work activity, picture walk, etc. I feel like I just grab a book, hope it has some of the skills we are working on, and go with it. Sometimes my kids read the book for a couple days, other groups might have the book the whole week. I have been teaching for several years and just can't seem to get a good routine going. We use Houghton Mifflin leveled readers. Thanks!

Kaylen is offline   Reply With Quote

stampingal

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start out with the leveled reader we read the day before.On the second read of this book, we might discuss a comprehension strategy we are working on like summarizing, or sequencing, plus this helps with fluency. Then I go over my sight words for the week. Monday I introduce them, then the rest of the week we review by playing boom or roll,say,keep. Next I do a phonics activity with our spelling words, then I end with a new read-leveled reader. And this is the next day's reread. We teach with McGraw-Hill reading series so I use voc and spelling from the basal as well as their leveled readers. However, I supplement with wright group leveled readers and othe leveled readers from our science and social studies kits. I have the hardest time with the phonics activities. I also have "Frog games" I play in small groups but they take a while to play. The website for their games is www.frog.com hope this helps!
stampingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Eli O.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My groups are 30 minutes, and I have ELL kids who are just beg. to read (some still are working on alphabet letters and sounds), so this is what I do:

1. Flashcards (alphabet or sight words, depending on group)

2. Re-read 2-4 past books

3. Introduce new book (picture walk and oral vocab.)

4. Read book

5. Activity: some groups do phonemic awareness activities or games, others do word work activities from our basal

Once a week we also do a poem from our poetry binders that we have worked on before. I put each line on a sent. strip, we read it, take it apart, and put it back together.
Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote