Help

BusyBoard

I have a sleeper.....

>

abf626

I have a sleeper.....
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and I need advice. We have been in school 1 full day, and 1/2 a day (thanks to Irene, which is making it very rainy right now). Said child has fallen asleep several times and is in a DEEP sleep. This is a constant problem reported on all of said child's report cards since K and the social worker has been involved, and thought the major problem was taken care of. I don't want to start the year off negatively as the parent already doesn't like me (came into open house and said they weren't excited about the new year because I made parents quit sending their kids to my school because I was so bad, etc., etc.,) hahahaha.... but, seriously, I just want some ideas, tips to help and not hinder a problem. Said child falls asleep (or over) standing up as well.

abf626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How old? I have a sleeper who falls asleep in his lunch. I just let him sleep and he wakes up on his own after a little while. He is 3 years old and his first year in school.

Maybe the kid has a medical disorder? I dunno I am no doctor.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Stilly

visit to the doctor
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like a medical condition to me.
Stilly is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermom7

Been there
Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dealt with that issue all last year. I tried to have lots of hands on, movement, and group activities. When I had to lecture I gave him highlighting tape to hilight in his text book. Often I would tap on his desk and he would hilight something....not always successful but at least his head was up when the principals came through. Guess what? Yep, he failed all his state tests. Surprise Surprise!!!
teachermom7 is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

sleep
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

on meds, medical condition? the only time i had that problem, the kid was heavily medicated. talk to the school nurse. maybe they know something from that angle? you could be mean and just send him to the nurse every time it happens...then there is a record if mom/dad claim you are out to get her poor poor baby.

acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach

home
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you asked the child where he sleeps at home? I had a child who fell asleep all the time like that and we discovered he slept on the couch in the living room because there was no where else for him. He was woken up all night by the adults coming in and out.
vateach is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I had one like that two years ago.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tried everything. I had him sit on an exercise ball. I had him go to the office every time he went to sleep (That was the principal's idea). Then I enlisted the help of the kids. I had the kid next to him get my attention every time he acted like he was going to go to sleep. Then I had the boy go to the restroom and wash his face. That was the only thing that worked for me.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

TravelingGal

sleeping problem
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Something is obviously not right with this child. Either he is not going to bed early enough, being awakened by rowdy adults, or he has a medical condiion. He needs to be referred to child study. He needs a thorough physical and the school needs to see the doctor's report. I would be very concerned about this child's life. Something is wrong. Keep us posted.
TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

I thought I had written this post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a child the same. I have even picked him up and turned him over and he doesn't move. The last time the deputy came down and she couldn't either. I have spoken to mum several times and he just keeps telling me he is like his dad. The last time I had some of the kids watching if he was breathing. I have found out that he attends church at least 3 night s a week and doesn't get home till late. I have in a round about way told the mother to take him to the doctors or mention it next time she has him there. I am going to ring her next time. CAn you ring the mum. My little fellow is 6 and he can just put his head down and nod off. I have kept him very busy the last two weeks with no head down. It frightened me. I am not sure how he can sleep through the noise. Wish I could.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had one a few years back who would complain about being tired, and sometimes try to curl up in the reading corner to sleep. It ended up he was anemic. Between that and some allergy asthma medicine he WAS tired.

3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I know it's not funny, but it reminded me of my foreign exchange teacher from South Korea last year.

He would take several naps a day.

At first, the kids were concerned & I told them that perhaps he was ill.

Then they started giggling and tittering.

Then they just ignored it.

It really was ridiculous.

I found out that he really liked his "Mexican" (his words) host family and Mexican beer.

Sheesh.

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Narcolepsy?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My mom had a student once who had Narcolepsy where you fall asleep with no warning.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

Just been to the doctors
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have only just got back and I asked about my little boy and she said mum must take him to the doctors because there are so many things it can be. She said better to be safe.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermom5

Just a suggestion
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had a sleeper last year, and my principal suggested a marble exchange for her. When she fell asleep, I would wake her up and hand her a marble to deliver to the jar in the principal's office. She would just have to walk it down and drop it in. He would encourage her to stay awake, and we had a physical idea for the parents to see how much she was sleeping. The walk usually woke her up enough to stay awake (for a little while anyway!)
teachermom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

seslava

I had a sleeper last year.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

At the beginning of the year he would fall asleep all the time. My students were always telling me that he was sleeping. I tried to talk to the parents about it, but they insisted that nothing was wrong. Ok. So everytime he fell asleep he lost his chair and had to stand. When he got tired of standing he would ask for his chair back. If he fell asleep again he lost his chair again. One time he fell asleep while he was standing, but he had his elbow on his desk and his chin in his hand - this time he had to stand in a blue square that faced the corner but didn't allow him to touch the walls. At the beginning of the year it was tough. After a few months he realized it was easier to stay awake than have to give up his chair or stand in the corner for a while. By the end of the year he would rarely fall asleep - I think the only times he did were after field day and after our outdoor fun day - and I would have fallen asleep if I could have on those days.

I don't know what I would have done if he had fallen asleep while standing in the corner. I guess it's a good thing that didn't happen.

I have let students sleep in class before because our clinic won't keep students if a parent can't come. I've had sick students in my class who have to stay because the school can't get ahold of anyone on the emergency card - this was the rare exception to sleepers. I hope you find some way to solve the problem!
seslava is offline   Reply With Quote