Help

First Grade

End of the Day

>

ruebear

End of the Day
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my second year teaching first grade and I really detest the end of our day! I feel like no matter what it's chaotic and messy. I was wondering what everyone else did to get the kids cleaned up and ready to go in a calm way!

ruebear is offline   Reply With Quote

mandy7

end of the day
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put a short movie in and let them get started on their homework. It is nice and quiet! I love it!
mandy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

HollyEllis

Listening Center
Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put on a book on CD or tape and the kids are sharing books while listening to the story. I then choose 3-4 students at a time while the story is going to pack up then go back and keep listening. It works great!!!
HollyEllis is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

I bribe them with a game!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bribary sounds harsh, but I say if we can get all packed up and ready to go Quickley and Quietly..we can play a game- I have a few up my sleeve that I only use at the end of the day--Eye Spy-using word wall words, or sums of math problems, or before, between, after on number line or in the alphabet, etc. they win Raffle Tickets (classroom money). I also sometimes play heads up seven (3) up, or silent train- pick a leader to lead the kids through the classroom (like a snake line) no talking, laughing or bumping into each other or furniture allowed or you are out (restart with a new leader every few mins). Or Silent Catch- my kids are at tables so all stand up and use an unopened paper towel roll to play silent catch at their table..no laughing or talking or they are out until the next round.
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach

chapter book
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I read our chapter book while 3-4 kids at a time pack up quietly. The drawback is that I can't double check if they have checked their mailbox until we are about to leave, which can be chaotic if they forgot. Most of the time it works well and we are learning up until the minute before we leave.

vateach is offline   Reply With Quote

praktcentechr

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Backpacks are all packed up at least 1/2 hour before the end of the day. At the end of our math time we pack up and then have another activity time, (choice, PE, Social studies, science, or whatever) And when it's time to go students (i excuse one group at a time - girls, boys, shoelaces, ponytails, anything to only have 1/2 at most back at the cubby area at a time) put their chair up, get out their folder for tomorrow, get their backpacks and join us in a circle on carpet, then other group goes. At the end I try to spend some time sharing appreciations or learnings from the day and then we always end by singing Happy Trails to you! as we are joined in the circle. Kids can holds hands or hands on shoulders. I look forward to it. It's calming and we always leave with a smile. (ok most of the time! :>)
praktcentechr is offline   Reply With Quote

gatorz

class meeting time
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At the end of our day, we sit in a big circle and have a class meeting. It could be about how our day went, what we will do tomorrow... but they love when I ask them a question and then we pass a microphone around for them to tell their answers. This is great for listening to each other, talking in complete sentences, and just getting to know each other.
gatorz is offline   Reply With Quote