Help

The VENT

Angry for my friend

>

KingbirdQueen

Angry for my friend
Old 08-11-2021, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when a parent lies about you at a school board meeting without naming you? Is it still slander?

A parent told the board her daughter’s teacher goes without a mask for hours a day while making her child wear a mask.

My friend has a respiratory disease and she wears a mask religiously. She is vaccinated, but resumed masking with an N95 after the breakthrough cases became published. Other teachers can testify to that fact. So can her P. It is mandatory in our state to wear them, but my would friend wears her anyway.

The parent wants to get rid of masks in general, but is going about it by trying to throw my friend under the bus. She called her a hypocrite and said that the kids should be released of wearing them in elementary since obviously the teachers don’t.

My friend is very upset at this lie about her said in public. She is very by the book and her job is everything to her. The parent didn’t say her name outright, but said “My daughter ‘s 4th grade teacher at Actual Name Elementary is a hypocrite who won’t wear her masks for hours a day …” whilst stating her (the parent’s) actual name.

I am so angry for my friend, as the board meetings are televised/streamed and many people watch it. The board is serious about health and safety . I do feel that most people won’t know the parent means my friend, although the board might look into it seriously . Is this slander? What would you do in this situation?

KingbirdQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Nothing
Old 08-11-2021, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds as if your friend could prove she is always in a mask. I would let it go and not draw any more attention to the situation. Chalk it up to a crazy parent.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Slander
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could call it slander, but I learned from a recent event that there isn’t much that can be done except stating that the accusations are not true and having people vouch for it.

At a previous job (Not a school building) There was a lady who was infuriated because she was infatuated with one of our employees who I was very good friends with. I’m pretty sure she started putting the blame on me for him not reciprocating. Though I can’t be too sure most people are betting that’s what it is. She made attempts to slander, even leaving a review on the company webpage but didn’t list my name because I’m sure she knows if she did I could take action. You can bet she also did it under a fake name.I did nothing and said nothing and fortunately my supervisor was very much in the same camp as me. He agreed that no response would be the best response. She managed to poison the viewpoint of some people who I thought were friends, but as far as the review goes not drawing attention to it seemed to be the best solution because not one person approached my boss saying what’s the deal with this review?

Last edited by Violet4; 08-11-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 08-11-2021, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have a union? They would be able to advise your friend. I feel like your friend should have a rebuttal on record even if itís just a statement given to the administration. Does your friend feel comfortable talking to the principal?

That parent is crazy!

Keep being the good listener and friend that you are.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

School Board
Old 08-11-2021, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you go to your district's website, you will find the email for your school board members.

You...and anyone else who knows the truth...should send emails to the your board members, the administration, and your principal. The emails should state that the information they received from crazy parent is a lie.

I would also hope your superintendent would call this parent to have a heart-to-heart. The superintendent can explain to the parent that this teacher has health problems, and that a mask was necessary for her.

I bet this parent got her information from her child...a child who does not want to wear a mask.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote