Help

The VENT

Give me your best advice!

>

Teacherbee_4

Give me your best advice!
Old 09-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for advice on how to handle a few classroom management "issues". They aren't really issues per say, but things that I've noticed about this class in general that I really want to "fix" or deal with best.

1. They have very strong, loud personalities. They are happy, positive, and enthusiastic, which is quite a plus, but they yell across the room all the time. They are loud working in groups. They need to talk all the time. I give them lots of built in talk time, but even with that, they are LOUD. I follow my classroom management plan to a T, and I am seeing improvement from what I saw of them last year and I what I saw at the beginning of the year, but it's still not exactly how I want it to be. We are 8 days in. How long does it take do you think to "mold a class?"/for new rules/expectations to sink in? Any advice on how handle to this, especially without killing their "spirit". Honestly, for the vast majority of them, it's truly their personality, but obviously they need to reign it in and use it at appropriate times.

2. They have a very hard time focusing as a whole. Even 30 second directions, they can't have their eyes on me or not be ripping up shreads of paper, fidgeting with things, etc. Even when I follow the classroom management, that's not improving. Obviously, at 4th grade, they need to focus on my direction or my talking longer than 30 seconds. And, their fidgeting doesn't help them listen, because they don't know what to do after directions. Even if I have them repeat directions back, the don't listen, they try to fidget, doodle, rip paper etc. instead. Again, I think there are 2 reasons for this. While I do think this is "them", the 2 third grade teachers are VERY loose. A lot of behaviors were accepted last year that really should't have been. I've seen it with my own eyes, I hear them talking in the lounge, here them responding when other teachers ask advice, etc. They are very lax. Again, I do think there is a part of them who do have trouble sustaining attention, but I think it's worse because they were allowed to last year. Obviously, I know for starters, right now, I need to keep directions/lectures/teacher talk short and give time for intermintent talking, do more hands-on things, etc., but there will always need to be some teacher direction and they tend to completely tune it out. Thoughts on how to handle this?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

#2 Above
Old 09-03-2021, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When giving directions orally, use words like "first" and "next." At the same time, write a number 1 on the board with the "first" direction in written words and write #2 on the board with the "next" direction in written words.

I was not an auditory learner, but rather a visual one. I needed directions written on the board and always appreciated the teacher that did that.

Also, as a third grade teacher, I only gave directions once, especially if they were written on the board. When asked what to do, my response was "check the board" or "ask a classmate." When you start giving in to the students who were not listening the first time around, it just spirals out of control and all of a sudden, you are repeating the direction five and six times.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

As ice
Old 09-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Connie gave you dead on perfect advice for issue #2. I would have typed the same thing.

As to issue #1, some classes are just louder than others. BUT, given that they all stayed home last year, they will probably need to,relearn their “inside voices” all over again. Just keep hammering away at them.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 09-07-2021, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my school we have discovered that the students have completely forgotten how loud they can be. We bought a stop light on Amazon that measures how loud the class is. Once they reach a certain decibel the green light turns yellow. Then if they continue to be too loud the red light turns on which means no talking at all, for any reason for 10 min. As this was no longer a subjective, you are too loud from the teach but a scientific you are too loud the students started monitoring their volume. Another great thing is you can slowly reduce the decibels allowed helping them regain their classroom volumes.
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote