Is it me or are people really enjoying Halloween this year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is it me or are people really enjoying Halloween this year?

>

PEPteach

Is it me or are people really enjoying Halloween this year?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:57 PM

Maybe it's because it's on a weekend, or maybe it's because everyone needs an extra boost of happiness now, but I noticed so many more people out and about today and genuinely happier. I'm not a huge Halloween person, but it was nice to see all the creativity with the costumes and the happy neighbors sitting out on their porches greeting the Trick or Treaters.

Has Halloween seemed more festive/fun/happy this year around you?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-31-2021, 05:19 PM

I think so. In the 30 years we have lived in our home we have had a total of 3 trick or treaters, and they all came together. For years Halloween has been no big deal at my house, kids are all grown and DH would often be in the field so I would find a movie or start a project to stay busy. Tonight I went to trick or trunk event near my school. It was fun a lot of fun.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-31-2021, 05:50 PM

I played a gig with my band on Friday night at a place we played at in July, and it was much more crowded this time. My husband made the most money driving Uber this weekend ever in Three years that he has been driving.

As far as trick or treating, we never get any trick or treaters because we live in a condo complex. I donít think there were many people out. The hours for that today were from 2-6pm which is really early.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-31-2021, 06:39 PM

I think people are just excited that it's more "normal" this year. Last year, the day before Halloween was out last day of in person schooling (we ended up going back in January). Numbers were really bad and there were lots of calls to not do trick or treating. I remember deciding that no way could I go out and do something, when it was bad enough to close schools. We didn't do a Halloween parade or parties at school because of all of the covid restrictions. This year all of that stuff came back, trick or treating is normal, parties are happening, etc.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-31-2021, 06:45 PM

I agree- excitement for the most "normal' Halloween holiday in a while.

No trick-or-treaters at our house, though. Guess we're going to have to eat all the candy. We already have eaten most of it

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-31-2021, 07:02 PM

We don't get trick-or-treaters, but we did notice, as we are out and about riding our bikes this month, that MANY more houses decorated for Halloween than in previous years.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

SO MUCH fun!!
Old 10-31-2021, 07:55 PM

Last year was very pitiful...we didn't pass out candy and very few people did. This year was almost as many houses as pre-covid. But the mood was way happier and friendlier.

I passed out treats down a candy chute. It was so fun! I stood for almost 3 hours until all my candy was gone. Truth be told, I enjoy the little ones the most. This year, I enjoyed everybody the same! Everyone was polite and just having a good time.

PEPteach, I agree with you. It felt more festive! A good time was had by all!

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-01-2021, 05:19 AM

I agree, but for me itís not just Halloween. I think that people are so much happier now that weíre out and about safely. I know I am.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-01-2021, 06:39 AM

Yes.....it was a great day to see so many parents dressed up taking their kids around. I never saw so many and they were so creative! The restaurants were doing a great business with young people getting together. A lot of houses were decorated too....much more so than in the past. I think people needed to have fun and hopefully everybody stayed covid safe. I wish they could designate Halloween to be the last weekend of October every year!!
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-01-2021, 07:00 AM

Seems the same around here...now, last Halloween, and pre-COVID. I only got out of the house yesterday for a bit and Target was one of the most crowded I've ever seen. That specific location never really gets that crowded. Swung by JoAnn Fabric too and McDonald's to get food and a smoothie. And when passing by our huge outlet mall, there were cars parked all the way to the edge like people were Christmas shopping already.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Halloween this year
Old 11-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Yep! Far more houses decorated and events planned. They had one for adults only in which they dressed up, brought their bikes to a central place, decorated them, and then had a parade in town. Weird. Lots of activities for kids so I guess they just wanted to make this one for adults.

I saw more table set up on lawns outside with bags of I guess candy, and adults sitting in lawn chairs supervising everything. At one house, there was a girl who looked around 9 years old with a warm skeleton sweatshirt on. She was shrieking and laughing...and then we noticed the adult-sized zombie chasing her. She dived into a pile of leaves and tried to hide, but then popped up and shrieked at the zombie. I don't know what happened because by then we had driven by. But it's a lovely memory.

Yes, people seem very happy to be out enjoying themselves.

Those giant skeletons are pretty cool. Here's a photo in case you didn't get enough:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-01-2021, 06:16 PM

My DSIL said the samething to me last night. We had 1 Trick or Treater and had nothing for him. She gave him $1. I told her I was going to tell her to buy candy but we never have anyone come around any more. I told her I think it is getting out since COVID and that we might now be seeing more families with young children in the neighborhood. In the past years the children who came around when I first moved in would be adults now. Next year I will be prepared.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-02-2021, 02:28 PM

Due to the weather that changed as the evening went on, we only had about 40 but every single one of them was happy and so polite! Parents too. It was great
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote