Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Funny nostalgia about the 90’s

>

WordFountain

Funny nostalgia about the 90’s
Old 11-11-2021, 05:48 AM

I saw this on Buzzfeed. I’d probably agree with most of these. I am a child of the ‘90’s. I graduated high school in ‘99.
I’d love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...bout-the-1990s

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-11-2021, 06:52 AM

The article certainly brought back some old memories. It made me think back to 1991 when we bought our first computer, a very basic one, for about $1,300. We also indulged in a 24 pin dot matrix printer for the then very reasonable price of $350.

Having a modem in our computer gave us some exciting possibilities, but to go online, it meant tying up the phone line. We'd run a ten-foot cord from a phone jack to the computer . . . and be careful not to trip over it. There were a number of online service providers including GEnie (which we had for a short time), AOL, Prodigy, and CompuServe, which had features like online chatting, games, message forums, etc.

In the mid 1990s, we discovered a new and exciting thing called email. We were on a tight budget, and discovered a free way to do it. Computer programmers at the University of Minnesota had come up with the Gopher Protocol, and its use spread.
https://mncomputinghistory.com/gopher-protocol/

For us, Gopher made a number of new things possible. One could dial into some large university computer networks that used Gopher (if I remember correctly, there were often a limited number of spots for guests), and from there, it was possible to "go online." There were no graphics or videos, but it was still an interesting new adventure. I seem to remember time limits of about an hour for many of these online sessions.

At the time, a number of Free-nets were emerging, and the Cleveland Free-Net was one of the best known. When one went into one of these large networks, there were links to these Free-nets.
https://thedaily.case.edu/a-history-...e-net-at-cwru/
We don't live in Ohio, but it was still possible to get a free email account from them. It was impossible to add attachments and editing wasn't always easy, but the concept of connecting with others everywhere was quite exciting.

We upgraded in 1997, purchasing a computer that ran on Windows 95. It provided some interesting new possibilities, but those who remember it will recall it crashing frequently.

Oh, those were the days!
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-11-2021, 07:28 AM

Interesting how many of the replies reminisced about a “simpler” time before technology became so pervasive in our everyday lives
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 11-11-2021, 07:34 AM

Oh yes - the dot matrix printer We had that too!

I also remember using the “free” cds of internet dial-up minutes. Of course who can forget the dialup sound or AOL’s “you’ve got mail”.

My college dorm room was cutting edge with an Ethernet cable.

I miss MTV when it played music videos too
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-11-2021, 10:24 AM

I began my adulthood in the 90s, but i can relate. I graduated high school about a decade earlier than you, and many of the things in that list (except internet) were applicable to my pre-adult years.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-11-2021, 03:05 PM

I was young in the 90s- I was in 6th grade during 99/00. I remember the excitement of going to Blockbuster and picking out movies to rent, and I can relate to the comments about "hanging out" and not being so worried about social media or just connecting that way. I'm glad that I grew up largely before social media. We had myspace my later years in HS but it wasn't anything like it is now.

I laughed about hanging out at the mall. That was what my friends and I did pretty much every weekend when we were middle school-early HS age. In fact, I have a distinct memory of a childhood friend drunk calling me in college and bemoaning the fact that she wanted to go back to the simpler times of 8th grade when we just hung out at the mall every weekend. That's just not even a thing anymore!

The comment about being able to leave work at work because you weren't connected 24/7 is kind of wild to me. Tech was in full swing when I started working. I guess I'd never thought about what it would be like to leave work and be truly disconnected for the evening. No email, no texts. Even if a P really wants to tell you something, too bad, they wait until the next morning. That sounds nice for sure!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

memories of the year 1990
Old 11-11-2021, 05:50 PM

1) dad died
2) got engaged
3)daughter was born
4) got hired in public school . . .just retired from that same district in 2020
5)moved 60 miles away from my parents.
5) Bought my first house (all by myself)
6) finished my teaching credential

All of this within 9 months during the year of 1990.
Thanks for the post.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Old 11-11-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Of course who can forget the dialup sound or AOL’s “you’ve got mail”.
At one point you could have celebrity voices, so I had Mick Jagger's voice on AOL's "You've got mail."
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote